Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is it?

Just got a new set of T520 ceramics (thanks, unotache!) that I'll be lacing to Level hubs, and am getting some conflicting info on ERD.

Mavic USA says 598, and I've seen 600 and 603 on various websites.

I know a few of you have used these rims and would have the numbers.

Thanks for the help...rcm

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
shiggy said:
Run the calc with both numbers and see what the spoke length difference is.
That's what I ended up doing, splitting the difference between 281.9 and 284.4 with a 283 Laser, which Thor has in stock...

Assuming either MUSA or DT is correct I'll either be ~1.25mm short or over, and I'll be using the long 14mm Sapim nipples which should be enough to cover the difference if I'm short.

Hopefully they'll both be a little off and it'll be somewhere between 598 and 603 and 283 will fit perfectly!

Thanks for the help...rcm

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
Do you have the rims in-hand? You can always measure them yourself.

283 seems short. 700c wheels (3X) usually use spokes in the 295-300mm range.

BTW the thread length of my 12mm and 14mm Sapim nipples is the same. DT nipples have a longer threaded section.

·
Bored
1,982 Posts
Get your Calipers out.

I always verfy based on the rim profile. Usually 622 minus the rim profile (ie. 18mm) will give you the ERD.

Worked for me on many previous occasions.

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
bigwheelboy_490 said:
I always verfy based on the rim profile. Usually 622 minus the rim profile (ie. 18mm) will give you the ERD.

Worked for me on many previous occasions.
I think you have been lucky. 622mm is the bead seat diameter, not the outside diameter of the rim.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
shiggy said:
283 seems short. 700c wheels (3X) usually use spokes in the 295-300mm range.
Level hubs have a couple of spoke-shortening factors, including a 79.5mm flange diameter and a relatively narrow 31.1mm C-F measurement.

They're designed to be a do-it-all FG hub and use the same hub body for 120, 126, 135 rear spacing, just changing the spacers to suit the application.

You're right, I ought to just measure the ERD myself.

Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts