Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kind of frustrating that I just can't find any rim that suits my needs. 821 would be spot-on. And it allready exist in the SX wheelset, so why not release it in 32h version to the public? I WANT IT!

·
I dig trails!
5,611 Posts
I'm with ya. :thumbsup: I passed on the Crossmax due to the rear hub.

I wonder if the lack of 28mm sized rims has driven the lack of large (2.35ish) UST tires?

or

If the lack of large (2.35ish) UST tires has driven the lack of 28mm sized rims?

I'm going to try the DT Swiss 5.1 with DT Swiss rim strips... not the best solution, but getting there...

P

·
Where's my funny hat?
455 Posts
Arroyo, the 823 is overkill for most AM bikes. 28mm rims fit tyres up to 2.4 without any trouble, wider if the tyre is undersized.
Hey P, still haven't got the new wheels? I am still very happy with the WTB LD trails, reckon they are better priced, stronger, and fit and hold tyres better than DT's (which a friend has). Taping them (with hardware store "Stan's" tape) is def a *****, though, due to the deep centre channel (need two overlapping layers to fit the width). Just my 2c worth...

·
I dig trails!
5,611 Posts
Stevo the Devo said:
Hey P, still haven't got the new wheels? I am still very happy with the WTB LD trails, reckon they are better priced, stronger, and fit and hold tyres better than DT's (which a friend has). Taping them (with hardware store "Stan's" tape) is def a *****, though, due to the deep centre channel (need two overlapping layers to fit the width). Just my 2c worth...
Hey Steve!

I have the 5.1/340 wheels sitting at the shop awaiting pickup...

That said, in our group of 4 we got 10 pinchflats in 2 days... uh oh. All while preriding the race course... more uh oh...!

Those WTB Laserdiscs look real good now!!!

I did get the DT Swiss UST rims strips tho, which have the inside on-the-bench ridge so we'll se how that goes. All this is doing my head in!!!

P

·
Cheney for Sith Lord '08
179 Posts
Ah, understood.
I asked 'cuz I've been running 823's for AM/ light FR for 3 years and like 'em just fine.Guess I've just gotten used to the weight.Then again, I don't usually run lightweight anything.
Point taken, though.

·
Where's my funny hat?
455 Posts
Mr.P said:
Hey Steve!

I have the 5.1/340 wheels sitting at the shop awaiting pickup...

That said, in our group of 4 we got 10 pinchflats in 2 days... uh oh. All while preriding the race course... more uh oh...!

Those WTB Laserdiscs look real good now!!!

I did get the DT Swiss UST rims strips tho, which have the inside on-the-bench ridge so we'll se how that goes. All this is doing my head in!!!

P
Yeah, I reckon the rim strip will make things much better ( I have a bit of envy; so easy to get rim airtight for you now). If you haven't seen them around, I highly recommend trying the new Conti Rubber queen 2.4 tyre; it is by far the best rear tyre I have used, and makes my Big Betty (front) look a decidedly underfed. Good luck for the race, ride fast and stay safe.
Steve
PS fork still rocking w/ the shim stack conversion, may tweak it once more when I put in Enduro seals, but otherwise all good. Thanks for making this possible for me:thumbsup:

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
Intrepidity said:
821 would be spot-on. And it allready exist in the SX wheelset, so why not release it in 32h version to the public? I WANT IT!
I'd by one right now if they made them. It looks I'm going to forgo the UST compatibility and get some DT 5.1's, with tubes to start and maybe a conversion to sealant at a later date. If Mavic is already producing them for a wheelset I wonder why they don't just sell them as a rim only? Because they want people to buy their complete wheelsets...I know, I know. Lame.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
They're too busy making carbon spoked wheels to make something that's actually practical.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've been waiting on this rim for 3 years.

They now make a 32 hold variant in the Deemax Ultimate rear rim, but I think it requires special nipples that only work with their spokes. I could be wrong though.

I'd like to see Mavic update their UST offerings of the 819, 821, and 823 with the machined sections in between spoke holes like on their prebuilt wheels.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
bholwell said:
They're too busy making carbon spoked wheels to make something that's actually practical.
No kidding. I am still not interested in a $800-1200 pre-fab wheel, but I continue buy Mavic because they are truly the best quality rims.

FWIW the mavic EX721 with a stan's Rhynolite strip and UST tires seems to be pretty solid. With the stan's strip they are about 115g heavier, IIRC :skep:, than the XM819. Much stronger rim IME though.

·
I dig trails!
5,611 Posts
How about XM 321 + Bontrager tubeless rim strips. Hard to get on, but works. That is what I am running on my SS. The rim strips are 45g.

Should be tubeless compatible. Tho I run a converted tire (tubeless bead 450g tire & it held air for hours without sealant)

P

·
Registered
882 Posts
PissedOffCil said:
The lack of 821 made me go with Stan's Flow. Up to now, I'm not regretting my choice.
This ^^

After years of only Mavic, I'm running a set of Flow's on my trail bike. Can't say enough good things about them - great set of rims!

·
Registered
757 Posts
mtnbiker72 said:
Well, a bit of an old thread...but you can buy the Bontrager Rhythm rims from your Trek or Fisher LBS. 28mm wide, fully UST compatible w/o sealant, and pretty light.
yep, my LBS convinced me to go with the Bontrager rim strips on my EX1750s instead of Stan's or the DT Swiss conversion (which I used previously). So far so good, the rim strips snap into place (hopefully keeping them from moving around) and give the rim the same profile as a UST rim, with a ridge to keep the bead locked and a center channel to make getting a tire on/off the rim much easier than it was with the DT Swiss strips (which was a huge pain in the a$$). if I need a burlier wheelset I will go with EX721s with the Bontrager strips. Would probably be lighter than an "821" since Mavic's UST rims need the special nipples which make them pretty heavy compared to similarly sized rims on the market. I second the call for an 821, though, and for updating all the UST rims in their lineup.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
mtnbiker72 said:
Well, a bit of an old thread...but you can buy the Bontrager Rhythm rims from your Trek or Fisher LBS. 28mm wide, fully UST compatible w/o sealant, and pretty light.
WTF? Whooosh, off on an unrelated tangent you try and take the thread.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.