Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. ive noticed that the cheap road wheels (rear), like aksium, have the non drive side laced radially. the expensive ones, like ksyrium, have the drive side laced radially. why is that?

2. in regular wheels, every spoke touches another spoke at the last "cross". why is it not the case with many proprietary wheel, like the deemax?
 

·
transmitter~receiver
Joined
·
9,333 Posts
brake jack said:
1. ive noticed that the cheap road wheels (rear), like aksium, have the non drive side laced radially. the expensive ones, like ksyrium, have the drive side laced radially. why is that?
The short answer is that Zircal™ (fat aluminum) spokes on the higher end wheelsets make cross patterns impossible on the DS (they would create derailleur interference). Iso-pulse™ (Mavic is a branding champion) is a design compromise forced by the spoke geometry, which is forced by the spoke material choice. Aksium™ wheels use steel spokes, which don't have the same issue.
Radial lacing on the NDS of a road wheel makes sense because it reduces the load variations in the NDS spokes and torque is applied from hub to rim on the same side as it is generated, which means the hub shell doesn't have to be stiff enough to transfer all of the drive torque to the NDS flange, like it does in the Kysrium™ wheels.
Note that the new Kysrium™ wheels use the Tra-comp™ carbon fiber spokes that worked out so well on R-SYS™. They don't use the same lacing.
brake jack said:
2. in regular wheels, every spoke touches another spoke at the last "cross". why is it not the case with many proprietary wheel, like the deemax?
Not 100% sure on that. The contact of the spokes is a useful design feature though, like radial lacing the NDS of a road wheel. My guess is that, like with the road wheels, some other factor forced the design choice rather than it having merit on its own.
:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,083 Posts
meltingfeather said:
The short answer is that Zircal™ (fat aluminum) spokes on the higher end wheelsets make cross patterns impossible on the DS (they would create derailleur interference). Iso-pulse™ (Mavic is a branding champion) is a design compromise forced by the spoke geometry, which is forced by the spoke material choice. Aksium™ wheels use steel spokes, which don't have the same issue.
Radial lacing on the NDS of a road wheel makes sense because it reduces the load variations in the NDS spokes and torque is applied from hub to rim on the same side as it is generated, which means the hub shell doesn't have to be stiff enough to transfer all of the drive torque to the NDS flange, like it does in the Kysrium™ wheels.
Note that the new Kysrium™ wheels use the Tra-comp™ carbon fiber spokes that worked out so well on R-SYS™. They don't use the same lacing.

Not 100% sure on that. The contact of the spokes is a useful design feature though, like radial lacing the NDS of a road wheel. My guess is that, like with the road wheels, some other factor forced the design choice rather than it having merit on its own.
:thumbsup:
The fat spokes are flattenned and would not interfere with RD if crossed.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top