Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
debating between the following build (below) or stock mavic wheelset. would appreciate any feedback from the wheel guru's. is anyone riding the 821's yet? I am switching from the heavier 823's and looking to liven things up with a lighter yet still wide, stiff and durable wheel

Custom
RIM: Mavic 821
Hub: King ISO
Spokes: WheelSmith

CrossMax SX or Enduro

·
Chris Bling
2,594 Posts
Chris Bling

I am a huge King fan as their hubs. They look amazing, have a high POE and last forever. I am still rolling on a pair from 2007 and they are still rockin! I like Mavic rims, but their hubs are to be desired.

Go custom. I may be a little prejudice however...

I recently rebuilt them them back up after several years on a different wheelset. Here are some pics of 7 year old Kings. They still look new....

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Spoke Bicycle part Rim
Yellow Bicycle accessory Spoke Bicycle wheel rim Rim
Yellow Bicycle accessory Spoke Orange Line

·
Ow!
775 Posts
Go with the build just because you will have King hubs (or any other high quality hub). Mavic hubs are OK, but the Kings are likely to last your life (i.e., for many more builds). Besides---colors!!

And I am a big Mavic UST rim fan. I only build using 819s and 823s, and always wished for a 821. So I may be trying 821 this year (when I can get a discount on the MSRP--yikes).

If you go the 821 route, let us know how they do.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Custom build all the way.

Mavic hubs are nothing like as good as King or DT240s, at the same time they are obsessed with calling wheels back to the factory/distributor for repairs.

Any kind of damage to a mavic 'system' wheel usually results in several weeks down time while you wait. Blowing a spoke on a normal wheelset is one trip to the bike shop.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
update-

pulled the trigger and ended up with Mavic 821 + Chris King combo. I was hesitant because it of the price and was asking myself is this really worth the extra clams? but heck all i want to do these days is ride so weighting my passion for riding over my wife's reaction when she see's our bank statement.

I can say that after 3 big rides i'm STOKED and glad I made the investment.

#1 instant engagement is badass on the technical climbs. i noticed this right away.
#2 821 very noticeable improvement in the reduced rotating weight and seems just as stiff and strong as the 823's in the rocky/chunky stuff, hard cornering and climbing (both fireroad grinds and technical climbs)
#3 wheelset has a more responsive lively pop that the 823's didn't have

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I have had great luck with several sets of Mavics over the last few years, currently on the CrossRoc 27.5, but I haven't paid more than $500 for a set, most around $300. If I was spending the money to buy Crossmax's I'd spend a few more for the custom build, good decision.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.