Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago a rear Mavic XA 35 Pro Carbon wheel I bought on a colorful bike forum with a popular buy / sell area arrived in the mail. It came with the old school Shimano style freehub body. Perfect for me as I'm still happily rocking a 1x10 Shimano drivetrain so all I had to do was swap over the rubber, rotor, and cassette.

I have a boost thru axle in the rear which screws in and then clamps down (pretty standard, I believe). The thru axle came stock on the bike and I've been using the original OEM wheels so far with no issue.

But when I tightened the thru axle as I normally would it ground the hub to a halt. I could spin the cranks but with extra effort required as soon as I stopped rather than the wheel continuing to coast it locks up.

Here's a video I made:

I tried not ratcheting down the rear thru axel but couldn't find a tension that would both hold the wheel in place and allow the wheel to spin freely. On a short, leisurely spin around the neighborhood with my girlfriend the axel worked itself loose and and the rotor starting dinging the pads. It certainly would not hold up to trail use.

I found this thread where someone suggested the problem is a missing spacer for sealed bearings and mis-adjusted cone nuts for non-sealed bearings. Here's another thread that suggests it's likely a spacer issue.

Details are no longer on Mavic's website, at least none that I could find. According to a PB article from the time, the rear hub features Mavic's four-pawl, ITS-4 drive mechanism also found on the CrossMax. This wiggle product page seems to show the same wheelset and states "Hubs: Freewheel: Instant Drive 360; Bearings: Adjustable sealed cartridge bearings (QRM+)"

Going to be contacting the seller to see if he has any insight and will help me resolve the issue. Also wanted to post here though as well because it sounds like it might be an easy spacer issue? If can help me positively id my hub or the specific spacer parts that might need to be ordered that'd be super helpful. Any other insights or advice welcome too.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Many years ago I rode Mavic Crossmax wheels with ITS-4 hubs. On the NDS there was a preload adjuster to take up the play. Does your hub have a preload adjuster too - if so I would loosen it and see if there's still an issue.
It's known that preload needs to be setup again if the wheels are installed on another frame.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
I have had this exact problem. In my case I accidentally had two spacers on the freehub when there should only be one. I had swapped the Shimano freehub for an XD and did not notice a spacer was left behind. It’s easy to figure out which hub you have. ID360 you can pull off the end plugs and the freehub by hand. ITS-4 you need wrenches to get the end caps off and the end caps will have flats for wrenches.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.