Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to be ordering some Mavic 823's and Hope 2's and I was hoping that someone who already had them could tell me what spoke length I need instead of me ordering the hubs and rims, measuring them, than ordering the spokes. I would like to order them all at the same time and I was really hoping someone could spare me the time.

Thanks , if someone knows that would be fantastic.

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
ok ill help you out but you do know this is cheating right??? ha ha

I actually ordered it wrong since i didn't know you were supposed to use the 16mm nipples (i ordered the 12mm ones) to extend far enough out of the rim inserts.

I used 258mm spokes with the 12mm ones and it tensioned up perfect so...

you should order 254mm (256mm might work too) spokes and then order 16mm nipples to save the headache and any unnecessary anger from your wheelbuilder.

hope that helped.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
climbingbubba said:
ok ill help you out but you do know this is cheating right??? ha ha

I actually ordered it wrong since i didn't know you were supposed to use the 16mm nipples (i ordered the 12mm ones) to extend far enough out of the rim inserts.

I used 258mm spokes with the 12mm ones and it tensioned up perfect so...

you should order 254mm (256mm might work too) spokes and then order 16mm nipples to save the headache and any unnecessary anger from your wheelbuilder.

hope that helped.
You're the man thanks a million!

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
RamRider said:
You're the man thanks a million!
im 99% sure what i said will work but as a disclaimer i can't guarantee anything and won't be held responsible for anything that goes wrong :D

so in other words if you want to be 100% sure then calculate it on the dtswiss site yourself to make sure.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And Its fine I won't hold you to anything. I think I am going to go with the 256's though because if you could get 258's to work on yours than a 256 should be no problem whatsoever, it will just set in the nipple a little further than the 45 would, and its better to have a little extra than not quite enough.

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
Err said:
We would need to know what spokes you're using. For instance, DT Comps use 2.0, Supercomps use 1.8.
ha ha, this is the man who would know. He is the one who tensioned my wheels and had to compensate for me not knowing what size spokes to order. I really need to learn how to tension my own wheels one of these days.

like i said the 254mm ones should fit perfect. like err said it depends on the spoke but i would recommend either champions or comp (which take the 2.0)

good luck

·
Calm like a bomb
3,539 Posts
RamRider said:
And Its fine I won't hold you to anything. I think I am going to go with the 256's though because if you could get 258's to work on yours than a 256 should be no problem whatsoever, it will just set in the nipple a little further than the 45 would, and its better to have a little extra than not quite enough.
this is always a confusing topic for people new to wheel building or even experienced wheel builders new to working with 16 mm nipples. The 16 mm nipples are not just longer, the threads are oriented 4mm farther outboard than 12 mm nipples. This means that it's important to use the correct length spoke to get maximum thread engagement. Plugin the hub specs and the rim ERD to DT's spoke calculator tool, be sure to select 16 mm nips and use the results it gives you.

Climbingbubba is right, his did work out (I tensioned them) but it's best to get the exact combo you need.

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
Err said:
this is always a confusing topic for people new to wheel building or even experienced wheel builders new to working with 16 mm nipples. The 16 mm nipples are not just longer, the threads are oriented 4mm farther outboard than 12 mm nipples. This means that it's important to use the correct length spoke to get maximum thread engagement. Plugin the hub specs and the rim ERD to DT's spoke calculator tool, be sure to select 16 mm nips and use the results it gives you.

Climbingbubba is right, his did work out (I tensioned them) but it's best to get the exact combo you need.
yeah we ended up using 258's on mine with 12mm spokes. Am i wrong to assume that using 16mm nipples would change the necessary spoke length to 254mm?

oh man, thats it, i better check my work now... just a second and ill look on the dt swiss calculator.

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
ok, here we go

if you want the exact numbers it says to use
front - 253 left, 255 right
135mm rear- 254 left, 253 right
150mm rear- 254 left, 254 right

ok now you owe me big time...

I have always used the same spoke length (never bought different sizes for different sides) on all my hope builds so if you were going to go in the middle i would go for the 254mm and you should be fine.

Also again i could have possibly messed up somewhere in the process so again, disclaimer.... but now im 99.5% sure im giving you the right info.....

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
ha ha, wait a minute, PLEASE don't tell me you are lacing a 36 hole because that changes the calculation. guess i should have asked first. So if you are lacing a 32 hole the info i gave you above is the correct answer. if you are lacing a 36 hole then i can't help you.

·
Living the High Life
4,542 Posts
Here's what I got out of the DT calculator. I used 256mm on all of them but the RF (258mm). After building them up I realized I could get away with 256mm on all sides, makes it much easier to order and organize spokes on your work bench.

Attachments

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
Ithnu said:
Here's what I got out of the DT calculator. I used 256mm on all of them but the RF (258mm). After building them up I realized I could get away with 256mm on all sides, makes it much easier to order and organize spokes on your work bench.
yep but you made the same mistake that i did when i built mine up.

You NEED 16mm nipples and not the 12mm ones.

·
Living the High Life
4,542 Posts
climbingbubba said:
yep but you made the same mistake that i did when i built mine up.

You NEED 16mm nipples and not the 12mm ones.
Yeah, they worked but it took a bit more effort. Once they're installed they're fine. I'd definitely go to 16mm on another build, the calculator even says "16mm!" to remind you.

Oh and I used straight gauge not the double butted ones, so my wheels came to 2250 grams.

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
Ithnu said:
Yeah, they worked but it took a bit more effort. Once they're installed they're fine. I'd definitely go to 16mm on another build, the calculator even says "16mm!" to remind you.

Oh and I used straight gauge not the double butted ones, so my wheels came to 2250 grams.
ha ha, it does say 16mm and you still used 12mm..

I used the different mavic 823 ust rim it has in the calculator too. I doubt it matter except there is a 80 gram difference in weight which if you buy the newest version 823's they do weigh about 730 grams with all the inserts.

mine came out to 2330ish on my park scale once i had built them up with comp spokes and alu nipples

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, so here is the plan.
16X2.00mm spoke nipples
254mm DT Competition Black Spokes
Mavic 823's
Hope Pro 2's

I cant tell you guys how much I appreciate it!
I'll probably order all of it this weekend and I'll post some pictures of the wheel build for you guys to see how it turned out sometime next week.
Again, guys, thanks a ton, I owe you one for sure.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.