Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just a quick Mavic question here. I've ordered a Mavic EX721 CD rim, and was told CD is NOT the same as a ceramic rim. Should I still use cermic brake pads? I'll be using my beloved Avid Arch Supreme rear brake, and I do have both ceramic and regular pads. Thanks a lot, I just want to get the best braking power I can.

is Mavic's CD process the same as a ceramic rim at all, or is it a gimmick used to think you get that claimed 60% better stopping power like a ceramic rim?

Thanks a lot!!

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
Standard pads will work better on the CD rims.

"CD" is the Mavic designation for hard anodizing. Increases the surface hardness, reduces wear and colors the metal. No claim is made that it improves the braking. In fact braking in the wet is worse with the CD than the cheaper silver versions.

Mavic also offers ceramic coated rims in a few models including the EX721 and they will say "Ceramic".
http://mavic.com/ewb_pages/v/vtt_produit_jante_EX_721.php?gamme=vtt

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alritey, I'm thinking of getting an actual Ceramic rim now too, and build/sell the CD rim. Can anyone recommend a all black, ceramic 32h rim, that if possible, is slightly wider than the standard width rim? I am looking for something that might be a little pricey, but that's cool with me. I didn't think Mavic made any black, 32h ceramic wider rims, but I may be wrong. I also don't know if there's many other companies that even make ceramic coated rims other than Mavic, and possibly bontrager...

Thanks so much for your help!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts