Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is a repeat, but I am a nooby. I was wondering what people that have riden both of these wheels. Which one is better? Is it really worth the extra money for the DeeMax? I am putting these on a Downhill/Freeride Bike. I am no pro by any means so I won't be beating these into submission. Any feedback would be great.
Thanks,
Eric C
OC MTB

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
The DeeMax have a few features that make them more expensive... The rim is UST, meaning there are no spoke holes inside the rim so it is easy to run UST and other tubeless tires. To allow for this, the spoke nipples thread directly into the rim and are adjusted with a special tool. The rim is also a different profile on the DeeMax... slightly taller and a bit narrower.

The DeeTrax looks an AWFUL lot like the 2004 DeeMax, right down to the rim profile. The DeeTrax rim is not UST, however. This means you need to use traditional rim strips and tubes, unless you decide to use an aftermarket tubeless system. This is a cheaper and less complex wheel for Mavic to build, so you pay less.

The hubs on both models are the same.

Hope this helps...

JMH

E86 said:
Sorry if this is a repeat, but I am a nooby. I was wondering what people that have riden both of these wheels. Which one is better? Is it really worth the extra money for the DeeMax? I am putting these on a Downhill/Freeride Bike. I am no pro by any means so I won't be beating these into submission. Any feedback would be great.
Thanks,
Eric C
OC MTB

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JMH- Thanks for the response. I don't mind running tubes that is all good. I was just wondering if the extra $200-$250 was worth it, but I think I will stick with the Deetraks. Any other opinions would be welcome.
Thanks,
Eric C

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.