Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for an upgraded, but not too pricey lighter XC Wheelset. I can get either the Mavic Crossrides or a set of Mavic XC717 (rim brake) with XT M-760 hubs for about the same price ($170).

Any opinions on either?
They'll be going on an '05 Rockhopper for XC Riding and I'm at 170lbs.
Words of wisdom will be most appreciated. :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the crossrides on a stumpjumper, picked them up for about $160..improvement over the standard rims on m525 hubs, but only because the original hubs shot..I notice no difference in weight..I'd suggest riding what you've got till you taco a rim or the hubs need rebuilt..just my thought

dont know anything about the other wheelset you are considering,.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I bought the Crossrides a few months ago. I was replacing the OEM wheels on my Ironhorse (WTB Speeddisc or something like that) Huge difference for me both in weight and in rolling resistance. The Mavic hubs are really nice. Crap I paid 200 bones so 170 would have been even better.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,
I'm looking to replace the Alex DH-20 Rims and JoyTech Hubs that came standard with my Rockhopper. (A wee bit heavy and slow rolling...)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm about to order a pair of Mavic Crossrides....does anyone know what type of cassette or freewheel I should get that will fit on them? I've always ridden Shimano hubs so I'm not sure what I should get with the Crossride wheels?

·
baka baka!
69 Posts
i just bought a pair of crossrides a few months ago...regretting my former mavic 321/xt756 purchase now since there are about a pound lighter and the hubs are a tad bit smoother. only thing i don't like about them is how loud the rear hub is during freespool. however, i got a great deal on them from rei when they had their sale :thumbsup: the xc717 may be a little lighter tho and i've heard great things about them.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yup the rear hub is a bit loud. But coming from the roadie side of the house, they are dead quiet compared to the hubs on Zipp wheels. For what they cost and what you get, they are probably one of the most overlooked wheelsets out there. I have beat the crap out of mine and they still run like the day I bought them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.