Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a wheelset for my commuter bike, which should mean that these wheels will see nothing more than a smooth, hardpack trail. I generally don't slam up curbs, but will hop off one if I need to. Given the fact that I am using these on the street, I will of course be running a narrower, high pressure tire (1.5-1.75" 70-80psi). I weigh 250 lbs, so that factor literally does weigh in quite a bit.

Am I to be concerned with running a low spoke count wheel? I haven't ever had any significant problem breaking stuff in the past, which might reflect my slow and easy riding style. That also might be because all my past wheelsets have been 32 or 36 hole.

I also realize there are many other choices out there. The Crossrides fit my budget and I have gone to great lengths to remove any Shizmano part from this bike. Otherwise, I'd go with something like Mavic 221s on Deore hubs. So, if anybody can share their experience with the Crossrides, particularly if you are a clydesdale, I'd appreciate it. Also, if anybody has any experience with the FSA XC-100 wheelset, I'd like to know about those too. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
bikerboy said:
I am looking to get a wheelset for my commuter bike, which should mean that these wheels will see nothing more than a smooth, hardpack trail. I generally don't slam up curbs, but will hop off one if I need to. Given the fact that I am using these on the street, I will of course be running a narrower, high pressure tire (1.5-1.75" 70-80psi). I weigh 250 lbs, so that factor literally does weigh in quite a bit.

Am I to be concerned with running a low spoke count wheel? I haven't ever had any significant problem breaking stuff in the past, which might reflect my slow and easy riding style. That also might be because all my past wheelsets have been 32 or 36 hole.

I also realize there are many other choices out there. The Crossrides fit my budget and I have gone to great lengths to remove any Shizmano part from this bike. Otherwise, I'd go with something like Mavic 221s on Deore hubs. So, if anybody can share their experience with the Crossrides, particularly if you are a clydesdale, I'd appreciate it. Also, if anybody has any experience with the FSA XC-100 wheelset, I'd like to know about those too. Thanks.
Have you checked out all of the reviews found here:

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Wheelset/product_23661.shtml

There does seem to be quite a few people who comment on how flexy the wheelset is and at your weight well...

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
shiggy said:
I would not put either of the Mavic or FSA wheels under you. Underbuilt and overpriced for what you are going to use them for.

This wheelset may serve you well and it does not use Shiman o hubs: http://www.performancebike.com/shop...tegory_ID=5322&CFID=12403425&CFTOKEN=97301125
Thanks Shiggy.

I ended up buying a set of 36 hole Sun CR18s and lacing them up with the stock hubs and spokes. I kind of figured a low spoke count wheel is not the best thing for a clyde like me. The Suns were really cheap, especially since I work at a bike shop. My only complaint is that one of the seams is not perfectly smooth, so it thunks when I apply the brake. For $16 each, I can live with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.