Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone comment on the expected durability of a Mavic Crossride (v-brake only style) for aggressive XC riding? I don't do any big drops but I do like to ride fast down rocky Arizona singletrack. I'm 145lbs and ride a 120mm Manitou Black in front, and have ridden an LX/Mustang front wheel for about 3 years without truing.

Is the Crossride a flatland XC racer wheel, or a reliable all-around trailbike wheel? Appreciate any feedback.

·
Don't touch me!
843 Posts
With 24 spokes up front and 28 in the rear, I'd say more xc-ish than trailbike-ish. I still have my set from about '99, I used them for a few years until I went disc on my xc rig, then they were regulated to my beater with slicks. The beater recently went disc and now they are a waste of space.

I'd believe they were the cheapest ($299) rim brake wheelset Mavic sold when I bought them. They are pretty stout for a lightly spoked xc wheelset. They survived typical east coast riding, lots of roots, hardpack, the occasional mudpit, and a little urban assault. @ my 165#'s I'd be a little worried throwing these down rocky descents on a regular basis.

Of course I had a set of XT/Mustangs(machine built) and they went to crap in less than half the time I had the Crossrides.

Anyways, I'd prefer to go with a wheelset that is handbuilt. You have the opportunity to choose the rims, spokes, nipples, and hubs that best fit your riding style. Plus proprietary parts mean time and $$ if you ever need a repair.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've had my crossrides for about a year and have used them on my xc race bike. Overall I think they have been a good wheel but have recently noticed that out of the 24 spokes on the rear wheel, 8 are cracking in the rim around the eyelet.

I'm about 180 lbs and ride stritly xc so durabilty wise...not the best :(

·
Registered
121 Posts
bleebs said:
I've had my crossrides for about a year and have used them on my xc race bike. Overall I think they have been a good wheel but have recently noticed that out of the 24 spokes on the rear wheel, 8 are cracking in the rim around the eyelet.

I'm about 180 lbs and ride stritly xc so durabilty wise...not the best :(
Completely agree. I had the CrossRoc disc and was ~ 200 riding virtually all XC and would knock them out of true regularly. Went for a pretty aggressive ride (Brail at Soquel) that's got some drops and a lot small dips and had to really easy up for fear I'd be walking out. Ended up replacing them with a used set of CrossMax's which are MUCH stronger.

For someone lighter they might be ok, but I wouldn't use them as my primary wheelset. Try picking up some used CrossMax's, the rim brake versions are a bit cheaper on Ebay.

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
MTBAZ said:
Can anyone comment on the expected durability of a Mavic Crossride (v-brake only style) for aggressive XC riding? I don't do any big drops but I do like to ride fast down rocky Arizona singletrack. I'm 145lbs and ride a 120mm Manitou Black in front, and have ridden an LX/Mustang front wheel for about 3 years without truing.

Is the Crossride a flatland XC racer wheel, or a reliable all-around trailbike wheel? Appreciate any feedback.
I've done about ~500 miles on mine - I like 'em. They spin fast and I haven't even had to do minor truing on them yet. Lots of rocks, roots and 2-3ft drops in those 500 miles. I'm 150 on a on a HT with 100mm

The only time I had to get my CrossRoc Discs trued was when I launched my bike down a 40 foot cliff in Moab. I was NOT on it... after the first 5 or 6 feet...

CrossRides / CrossRocs can be had for under $200. Crossmax's will run you $500+

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.