Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Natural body armor
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I got a flat tire possibly due to a nail or a spike. The hole in my Conti Gravity UST 2.3 was pretty significant and sealant had couldn't stop the leak, so I had to walk back to to the trailhead.
Got the hole fixed and then something strange happening while I was testing the bike, in narrow cornering I could hear the front tire hiss. After closer inspection in the repair area I grab the tire and air comes out from the tire/rim interface. Closer look at the rim shows a damage to the rim (clearly from a sharp object like a steel nail). The loong nail must have gone thru the tire and hit the rim, right on its edge. :madman:
The sealant doesn't seem to take care of this (and also the location doesn't help)
Is the rim completely shot?
Any chance Mavic will cover this under warranty?
I was thinking of filling the little hole with something sturdy like resin/epoxy or similar and then polish it... any other ideas?
Thx
ZT

Attachments

·
Tech geek and racerboy
651 Posts
The epoxy might work, but make sure it doesn't dry too brittle. You might try just sanding the edge to round it off a little? Or just try rocking the sealant back and forth in the tire/wheel to try and get it to seal (like you do to get the bead and sidewalls to seal initially). Dunno, just shootin' from the hip, as they say.

·
Registered
804 Posts
How about something like jbweld to fill it and then sand it down smooth? That might work for the damage you have. Unless you purchased the mp3 plan with your wheels, I don't think Mavic will warranty that.

·
Dawgwalker
209 Posts
Looks to me like the tire bead rim interface cavity is compromised and filling the ding won't help. I might try opening that a bit by removing material.

I think that first I would try sealant, soaping the UST tire, and high pressure to get a seal.

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
I have few of those same snake bike nick on my XL rim. I don't have the same issue as yours. If any burr exists, have you tried filing or sanding it down then add more Stans?

Mavic will not warranty that but you can aways run the rim with tube as a last resort.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.