Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone out there know if the 2006 X-max XL wheelset uses ISM (InterSpoke Milling) on their rims? I know the 2006 SL wheelset has ISM.

FYI - ISM is where they make the rim a little thicker, and then mill out some material between the spokes to reduce weight. It is a process to create a lighter stronger rim compared to non-ISM rims.

·
Mountain Lion Bait
876 Posts
pbrosz said:
Hey toast,

Can you do me a favour? Just check your rim (on the spoke side - interior) and see if there is a wavy design between the spokes? Or is the inner rim straight between the spokes. If you're not sure what I mean, check this and zoom in:

Thanks,
pete. :thumbsup:

http://www.mavic.com/ewb_pages/p/produit_roue_crosstrail_disc.php?onglet=2&gamme=vtt&annee=2007
ok, i know what your talking about, and no, mine do not have that. Its flat/straight inbetween the spokes.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
An observation/opinion

Johnny Hair Boy said:
I would take an 06 cross max xl over those wheeels if you have the option. The cross trail uses steel spokes instead of the zicral mavic spokes.
The original Ksyrium road wheels used a "flat" inner surface on the rim just like the CrossMax wheels. Then after the first year or so, Mavic started "scalloping" the rims on the Ksyriums just like in that pic of the other Mavic MTB wheels. After those rims were scalloped, Ksyriums started getting cracks in the rims at the spoke holes. My addmitedly unscientific theory is that the scalloping weakend the rim by the removal of that material. The older unscalloped Ksyrium rims seem to last forever.

Now I see that those Crossrides are coming with scalloped rims. Hey, I don't have any absolute proof of my opinion on this, but IMO if the road wheels with those rims had problems, I'd be especially leary of the same design in an MTB rim. I have the old Ksyriums and 3 sets of CrossMax wheels. We've sold lots of Ksyriums and CrossMax wheelsets through the shop. The CrossMax sets have been extremely reliable. The older Ksyriums have been totally reliable, but the scalloped rim models have an unusually high number of rim issues. Just some info...take it for what it's worth.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.