Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a set of these wheels and so far I am impressed. I put on a set of WTB Mutanoraptors and set them up tubleless and I am riding faster on the climbs and faster on the downhills. My only complaint is that when I put sideways stress on the wheels on say a corner, the wheels flex and rub against the V-brake pad. I have let out some of the brake cable and it still rubs. When I grab the wheel in my hand and give sideways preasure it flexes more than I would like. So, can I tighten the spokes and get a stiffer wheel? How much is too much as I don't want to break my new wheels? Anyone have a similar experience with Crossmax wheels?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Higher spoke tension will not do anything to reduce the flex in the wheels. It is just the way they are.

·
Registered
528 Posts
wdnolan said:
I recently purchased a set of these wheels and so far I am impressed. I put on a set of WTB Mutanoraptors and set them up tubleless and I am riding faster on the climbs and faster on the downhills. My only complaint is that when I put sideways stress on the wheels on say a corner, the wheels flex and rub against the V-brake pad. I have let out some of the brake cable and it still rubs. When I grab the wheel in my hand and give sideways preasure it flexes more than I would like. So, can I tighten the spokes and get a stiffer wheel? How much is too much as I don't want to break my new wheels? Anyone have a similar experience with Crossmax wheels?
Are they Crossmax Enduros? Or might they be older-vintage Crossmaxes?

·
Faller - Expert Class
647 Posts
My 2 cents...

Now, I'll be the first to admit that I'm pretty much a relative newb to working on bikes, but here is my little 2 cents. I had that issue also when I had my cheapie Trek the first year I got into the sport. I was thinking more along the lines that it was my fork that was flexing a bit, but I could be wrong. Just a thought. Have you ruled the fork out?

G

·
i was getting a bunch of flex out of my Xmax XL wheels and took them to the local Mavic dealer. he explained to me that they can loosen up with a bunch of hard riding. since he re-tightened the wheels they are perfect again.

when they were flexing the spokes were also making a bunch of noise. noise is all gone now and my wheels are back to happy stiffness.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The wheels are Crossmax SL and I bought them used so perhaps the hard riding is the issue. I have not ruled out the shock yet but it appears to be flex between the hub and rim. Mechman, did your guy just tighten up the spokes or was there something else that he did? Thanks for all the replies everyone!!

G

·
he simply tightened the spokes and made sure it was straight/round. i don't know about the SL's (they are lighter and i am sure they probably flex more) but i have been very pleased with my XL's. i am building a new wheelset and putting the XL's on the wife's bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts