Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the heads up! Looks like I'm staying with the 26er for another year.
I already have three sets of Crossmax ST and I am tempted to buy another and sell one of my older ones. These things maintain their value. It would probably cost me $150 after everything is said and done.

·
Redcoat
1,005 Posts
I wanted a pair of these bit then read a lot of bad reviews on them as they weren't sealed and need to be cleaned out all the time? Is this true? I love the look of these but am put off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah but the seals are bad by the looks of things. Here's a review from the link posted again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkb b hm
I believe these are pre 2012 wheels. I emailed price point to confirm whether the rear wheel was 20 or 24 spoke and they replied back that they did not know what model year these are but that it has 24 rear spokes. In 2012 they went to a 20 spoke rear which would make this the old style. I currently have a 2009, 2011 and 2012 set of Crossmax ST's. The only issues that I have had with the older style is with maintenance on the rear hub. Roughly every 400 miles you have to pull the free hub apart and wipe it out with alcohol and add 3 drops of oil. If you don't do this then it will spontaneously start howling like crazy soon afterwards. It honestly only takes about ten minutes to do it. The good thing about the old style is that the free hub is steel. My 2012 set has maybe 500 miles on it but my 11-36 XT cassette is digging into it. This will happen with all aluminum freehubs so it doesn't just apply to this particular wheelset. The nice thing about all Crossmax ST's is that they are very strong, they only weigh 1600 grams and the fact that they don't need rim tape saves maybe another 70 grams. I just purchased a set of NoTubes Arch EX 650b rims to build up and they look like noodles compared to the crossmax rim... I'm just hoping they are not.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info, Seems that the easton ea90s will be a better choice for the same price perhaps. They pretty much take care of themselves and ust also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkb b hm
I believe those are known to have spoke failures. I've never heard of a spoke failing on the Mavic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.