Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
look 986
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any body got a set of these wheels?

i was thinking about buying slr's but wanted something a little more robust and these look sweet and i'm thinking of treating myself.

what are your opinions

·
Church of the Wheel
749 Posts
I have a pair of 2008 ST's that I've ridden the snot out of. They have performed fabulously for me - strong, stiff, roll well. I pull them apart, regrease bearings and relube hub about every 6 months, and that's it. They are as straight and true as the day I got them. I opted for the ST's over the SL's or SLR's because I wanted to be able to run wider tires without them getting sketchy (feeling like they're folding over) in hard corners, and I've been happy with this choice. I know not everyone has had the same good results with Mavic's that I have, but I have only good things to say about my experience. I do wish I could convert the front to a 15QR but am stuck with 9mm (they fixed this in 2009). Only other thought is that I sometimes find myself lusting after lighter weight options. The ST's are very competitive weight-wise though for something billed as "All-Mountain". In short - I've found them to be a good choice that blends strength, weight, price, and performance.

·
look 986
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, all sounds like good stuff! i am pretty sure i've made my mind up now and gonna get a set. Cheaper than slr's and can take more abuse!

What kind of riding do you do and whats your set up?

·
Church of the Wheel
749 Posts
I ride an Ibis Mojo SL (5.5" travel front and rear). I'd call myself an adventuresome XC rider. I've ridden this bike and the Crossmax ST's up and down the Alps in the last year, and ride at least an hour and a half five days a week year round (it was 8 degrees fahrenheit out this morning, yipe, but I still did it - new low temp record for me). I'm not into jumping and rarely do drops over 2 feet. But gimme roots, babyheads, whatever. The ST's parallel the design of the Mojo well - both light enough to go up anything, and tough enough to come back down.

That said, I won't be going with Mavic's for my next wheelset, only because I really want to try out a Maverick fork, and I'll need something that fits their proprietary hub. I'm thinking of a Hope Pro 2 front hub (which can be converted to every axle type, except Cannondale Lefty, if I'm not mistaken), Hadley rear hub, laced to Stan's new Crest rims. Yum.

If the Mavic front hub was as convertible, I'd be more than happy to stick with them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.