Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a pair of 2009 model Crossmax ST wheels.

They came set up for standard QR.

Does anyone know if there is a conversion kit for 15qr or how is the conversion made?

Unfortunately, the online dealer whom I purchased the wheels from is as clueless as I am on this?

Thanks-

·
Registered
778 Posts
On the 09 model you just push the q/r addapters out with a rod and that leaves it set up for 15mm.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tools?

Mr Pink said:
On the 09 model you just push the q/r addapters out with a rod and that leaves it set up for 15mm.:thumbsup:
That's what I was hoping to hear-

So there's nothing to un-thread, the end caps just pop off?

Thanks!

·
Monkey Wrench
353 Posts
They don't necessarily pop out easily - I had to get a pair of pliers on the axle flange and pull straight out. The small 9mm portion of the axle cap pulls out, leaving a 15mm hole. Pretty slick design, though not intuitive - it looks like the axle is all one piece until it comes apart. I didn't try pushing with the skewer, but that is a good idea, Mr. Pink.

·
...is still one gear
139 Posts
is the 08 ST model different to the 09 model?

I have the chance to pick up a set of 2008 Crossmax STs but in the QR version. I am running a 20mm through-axle fork.
My Question: can I convert the 2008 front wheel to 20mm by simply popping off the QR adaptors as noted above...or is this a different hub that is used in the 2009 model. I have the new mavic 2009 catalog and the ST wheelset is noted as "NEW" which means that something has been changed (it could be due to the new 15mm QR version).
Thanks for your help in advance -A

·
Registered
9 Posts
So what was the final outcome of the switch from 9mm to 15mm? Did it work without having to purchase an adapter kit? Has anyone actually done this?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So easy...

andyaustin said:
So what was the final outcome of the switch from 9mm to 15mm? Did it work without having to purchase an adapter kit? Has anyone actually done this?
I found out on my pair...

On the 09 model, it's so simple. No special tools or adapters are required.

You simply push the standard 9mm end caps out, and voila, you have 15mm axles.

It's a slick design, I'm not sure if other brands have a similar ease of use but they probably do.

15mm is great-

·
Church of the Wheel
749 Posts
I have 2008 Crossmax ST's, QR, that I'd like to convert to 15mm TA. Does anyone know if this can be done? The Mavic website is not particularly helpful.

·
Ride and Smile suckas
593 Posts
I am wondering about this also on my 2008 STs.
If anyone has done this i would like to hear about it. I have put pressure on the QR end and it doesn't move at all. Before i try harder i want to know if the 2008 model is the same as the 2009? thanks

·
Church of the Wheel
749 Posts
I contacted Mavic's Canadian distributor (US distributor is reputed to be underwhelming with customer service - doesn't even list an email address or suitable point of contact) about this, and they wrote back promptly: 2008's cannot be converted to 15mm axles. The 2009 was a redesign that converts easily, but it's physically impossible with the 2008's (inside diameter of the bearings is 12mm). Bummer, but there it is.

·
Ride and Smile suckas
593 Posts
DAMN! I was afraid of that. But the 2010s are sexy looking...
anyone a QR diehard that wasnt to buy a slightly used 2008 ST?

·
Registered
5 Posts
9mm to 15QR Mavic SLR

Have you actually done this modification? Sounds a little scary on my new wheels. They did come with a long silver rod. Is that what you use - and just tap it out with a mallet??

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yes...

johnnyarrowhead said:
Have you actually done this modification? Sounds a little scary on my new wheels. They did come with a long silver rod. Is that what you use - and just tap it out with a mallet??
That's exactly how I did it. It's actually super simple - the end caps pop right off when you tap them out. They're only held in there using compression, including a very small rubber washer. If you ever wanted to pop them back in for any reason, a few very light taps with that rubber mallet would probably do the trick. It seems like a very good design to me.

I just got a new pair of Crossmax 29's so I'll be doing the same conversion. It's really straightforward, nothing to worry about it at all.

·
Registered
126 Posts
i wonder if the outside front bearing diameters are the same for the 08 to the 09 models. because if they are, you could just replace the front bearing and be able to run the 15QR

·
Registered
19 Posts
Awesome guys, thanks for posting.. there were no instructions with mine and seeing as I got them from the UK (to AUS) i wasnt to enthusiastic about having been sent the wrong items.
Correct a little tap from the INSIDE using the little bar that was holding the two wheels together during transport and the 9mm QR ends pop out. Couldnt be simpler. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nope

Just tried it with my C29ssmax front and it has an axle all the way through. There are no caps that just pop out, but rather spacers that slide over the 9mm axle.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts