1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got my SLRs today (V-brake version:D ):

SLR front wheel: 614,3g
SLR rear wheel: 806,8g
Mavic Titan-Skewers: 87,5g (nice blue axles)
original Mavic UST valves: 11g

Eclipse Tubelesskit-Valves: 13,6g (yunlike on the Mavic valves these allow to unscrew the insert which allows for easy fill with sealant)

they come with really nice wheel bags as well.

Attachments

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not 100% yet...

BlownCivic said:
How did the surgery go? Are you 100% repaired?
well - i had surgery last thursday. they had to take out half of my inner mensicus on the left knee. they also wanted to do the crucial ligament i stripped 10 years ago but i said no. i will have to do it next time though...i'm already walking again but it will take some more days until i should be back on track 99%;)...

well i already did a short spin to my atelier but that's just 4 miles on flat road. my left leg delivers about 1/4th the power it used to have so it was basically just going around not doing any work. i was told just a tiny bit of fluids inside a joint will dramatically decrease power so i think i just have to wait some more. the knee is still swollen so i shouldn't force it.

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Well, that's not a bad weight after all. Yours is about 40g lighter then one posted recently on the starbike board. Were you able to weigh various wheelsets before making your pic?

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nothing special...

Axis II said:
Well, that's not a bad weight after all. Yours is about 40g lighter then one posted recently on the starbike board. Were you able to weigh various wheelsets before making your pic?
i didn't look for a special one. i got a box and that's my wheels. i weighed them without the valves (11g) and without that spoke protection thing (12g) on the freewheel that you can find on all kids bikes. i don't think any real biker will ride them with this item installed:nono:

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hubert said:
Do I see a Schmolke bar laying there, sneaky? ;)

Are you going to use that bar yourself?
correct, that's a TLO. not sure if i will use it. i don't like the 6 degree bend at all. i prefer 3 degrees. and it's also a bit wide for my taste. i run my handlebar at 520mm, this one has 555mm.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,262 Posts
i have..

the disc version and they have been great so far. a much better wheel
then the shimano xtr wheelset i had before. just out of curiosity how much is
that schmolke bar?

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
peabody said:
the disc version and they have been great so far. a much better wheel
then the shimano xtr wheelset i had before. just out of curiosity how much is
that schmolke bar?
179 euro = 235$

the SLR replaces my old and trusty Tune/ceramic wheelset which weighs 1410g. it has the rather standard Mig 75 and Mag 200 hubs, nothing too exotic. the rims are some really old Matrix rims with 28-spokeholes that i was able to find a couple of years ago. nowadays you can only get ceramic rims with 32 spokeholes. but i needed the Eclipse Tubelesskits including rubber rimstrip to be able to run "tubeless". now i can only add some sealant and i'm ready. my wheels are about 5 years old. the ceramic isn't that grippy anymore so i wanted new ceramic "tubeless" wheels to get back my awesome v-brake power. i would have to invest in ultra-expensive hubs à la Tune or Extralite and would just about reach the SLRs weight but i would have spent much , much more money as well and the durability of those ultralight hubs for sure isn't on par with the Mavics as well.

let's just try to build a lightweight ceramic "tubeless" wheelset:
i take some of the lightest hubs, light spokes and nippels and the only available ceramic rims right now (either DT or Mavic 717, both available in 32 holes only!!)

Extralite Ultrahubs: 64+164g = 228g
64 Aerolite spokes+nippels: ca. 290g
2 Mavic 717 ceramic rims: 435g + 435g = ca. 870g
total: 1378g
now add Eclipse Tubelesskits: 210g
total: 1598g

up to now:
1410 (Tune wheels) + 210 (eclipse tubelesskit) = 1620g

from now on:
1433 (SLR incl. valves) + 160 (2x 80g sealant) = 1593g

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
cmv96 said:
Nino,
What is the weight restriction on the Schmolke TLO bars? I looked over their website, but could not find the weight restrictions listed. I weigh 197 pounds / 90 kilograms
i don't know of any restrictions

·
Registered
315 Posts
I received some of those SLRs in disc version as a xmas gift. So far they are great to ride on - but I dont know much about weights - is that a respectable weight for a wheel set?

Not that it matters too much - with how heavy the rest of my bike is.

Also - do you guys run UST or standard tires on them? These are my first tubeless ready wheels - and I put a set of UST tires - but they seem pretty heavy and slow (Specialized Resolution 2.1 UST) - any good tire recomendations for dry (so cal) conditions?

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Also - do you guys run UST or standard tires on them? These are my first tubeless ready wheels - and I put a set of UST tires - but they seem pretty heavy and slow (Specialized Resolution 2.1 UST) - any good tire recomendations for dry (so cal) conditions?[/QUOTE]

Stan's Crow seems like a nice fit for ya. 410g per tire plus another 35g or so for the solution in each tire. You will feel like your on a rocket!:thumbsup:

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
Well it look like Mavic is prepared to take over the

MTB wheels segement again. If those hubs hold up better than previous versions, it IS the wheelset to use if you wnat a real TUBELESS system.

Now if 99% of tires companies would embrace the "Tubeless Ready" system we will all winners and have a truly near perfect tubeless system.

I wonder if Mavic can push the envelope a little more in getting these wheels even lighter by 2009!

These are no almost a 1lb lighter than my DT/819 wheelset. Since I don't have any hills and don't race anymore, the wheelset is still perfect for me.

·
Banned
1,262 Posts
i have had several sets of

DIRT BOY said:
MTB wheels segement again. If those hubs hold up better than previous versions, it IS the wheelset to use if you wnat a real TUBELESS system.

Now if 99% of tires companies would embrace the "Tubeless Ready" system we will all winners and have a truly near perfect tubeless system.

I wonder if Mavic can push the envelope a little more in getting these wheels even lighter by 2009!

These are no almost a 1lb lighter than my DT/819 wheelset. Since I don't have any hills and don't race anymore, the wheelset is still perfect for me.
crossmax and kysriums and know alot of people with crossmax and they are all
dead reliable. i never touch them, no freehub maintenance or truing and they are
always perfect. hutchinson has tubeless ready pythons coming but i think they are
going to be a little heavy for my tastes. my karmas are around 430, but i do
prefer the ust bead so i may use them.

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
I had Crossmax wheels for along time and had NO issues. But I heard other here and locally having issues with the freehubs.

I hear almost nothign on the Ks. Sure other have better engagement, and hoopla, but the Crossmax/K line is hard to beat.

·
Go faster!
1,157 Posts
Any reviews on Crossmax SLR vbrake?
I need a new pair of wheels because my old crossmax 2002 are overused, they have some abuse and are not driving the way I like, they feel more flexible and I don’t have driving precision… But if SLR’s behave like my wheels I just have to think about another wheelset.
What do you guys think about the SLR v-brake about driving precision and lateral stiffness?
Nino seems like you've been riding them for some time, what do you say?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.