Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My new Crossmax SL's have an annoying spoke noise (clink, clonk, clank, etc...). I had to send them back to Mavic for warranty. I was told that they were new and needed 'brake in' period, so I kept riding and the noises just keep increasing. It's been months now... I tried grease on them and the noise went away for a couple of rides but it came back :madmax: Any experiences with that? I was wondering if this is a common problem or did I just had back luck? I also have a pair of road Ksyrium SSL with no issues at all, wich are very similar built i think.

Ed

BTW I'm 180# and ride XC only (no jumping, so I have not punished those wheels)

·
Commit or eat sh!t
2,394 Posts
If it is coming from the spokes, something is hitting it as you ride, like the derailleur or loose cable or something. It may not hit the spokes until you sit on it. If it is coming from the hub, you will need to get it serviced or take it apart to see what is going on.

·
Registered
58 Posts
my rear c29ssmax wheel was making poping noise on starts and braking shortly after a brief break in. THe lbs I bought them from re-tensioned the spokes and that seems to have fixed the prob. The noise was coming from the spoke/hub connection.
good luck

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you are certain the sounds are coming from the wheels, be afraid, be very afraid. After a basic break-in period, spoke settling noises should drop to a minimum, minus the super random occasional sound once every 2nd blue moon on the 3rd month of the 4th year past the 1st harvest......

It's pretty standard for all wheels to go through an initial break-in phase where the spokes seat against the hub flange, each other, and the nipples against the rims/eyelets. Past that period though, and those sounds are typically indicative of an improperly tensioned wheel trying to slowly disassemble itself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MarcoL said:
just put some oil in the spoke hub conection, that is all! I have SL and SLR, very common problem
What kind of oil did you use? I did put some oil but the noise came back after just couple of rides. LBS is sending them back to Mavic, he says that is an uncommon problem with Mavics.

·
RIDE...
429 Posts
musicociclista said:
That's what I though, but LBS told me that Mavic had sent them a grease spray to apply. It didn't work so they are on their way to Mavic...
most of the time I clean them very good and then put some drops of oil, the forces aplied to the hub-spoke conection makes them (torsional) move on the hub interface, but after a while they get their position ( mavics ) remeber there are no elbows, but the sound is olny a clank clank clank .... cuased by the friction between 2 parts; again drop some oil and problem solved in most cases, especially after a hard deep cleaning.

Saludos!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
731 Posts
I have this problem too

I own two sets of SL's and never had this problem. But now I have two additional sets of SLR's and they both were sent back to Mavic under MP3 and were rebuilt- after two rides the ping noise is back. I am going to ask Mavic to replace them with the new 2009 SLR or the older SL's. The noise makes me nuts. Oil on the nipples and interface helps a little but just a band-aid for me. And Mavic says not to do it. I love my Mavics but this problem is a bummer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.