Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
i'm considering buying the Cannondale Prophet 4000. They come with the SL wheels.
I'm 230lb. I've been told that the wheels max rider weight is 220lb.
I ride agressive XC. I also didn't find the CrossMax XL in a lefty version.
Should i go for the Prophet 2000 that has the 819 wheels?

Thanks.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
I didn't know the Crossmax SL had a rider weight limit... They are pretty strong so unless you jump and do drops, I think you should be fine.

The Crossmax SL is the only Mavic wheelset that fits the Lefty for now. The Crossland you see speced on the Prophet 1000 uses a Cannondale front hub (possible since it uses normal spokes unlike Mavic higher end wheesets).

·
Registered
731 Posts
Cross Max

I'm with Dan 100% on the Cross Max- I'm about 190lbs and have been riding crossmax on both my Scalpel and Prophet for last year or so and have had no problems-very strong and fast. If you are doing more heavy drops or jumps consider another wheelset. But for XC and moderate mountain I can enthusiasticaly reccomend the CrossMax. Good luck!

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,390 Posts
Aifer said:
Thanks guys,
I do some drops while riding, such as in the attached picture.
Nice pic! You only need to ask yourself, am I a smooth rider, or do I at 220 break stuff frequently? If the answer is that you are a smoothy=:) and you are on conventional, non freeride, non clydesdale type gear, you will love these wheels! Best of luck.

·
Ex-Clydesdale
600 Posts
Aifer said:
Thanks guys,
I do some drops while riding, such as in the attached picture.
I dare you to post that in the Downhill/Freeride forum to really get their panties in a bunch.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
Dwayne said:
I dare you to post that in the Downhill/Freeride forum to really get their panties in a bunch.
LOL, you're saying that because of the size of the drop or the lycra? Nice picture and the Crossmax SL should be able to handle that.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Are you a smooth rider?

Are you going to be keeping a close eye on the wheels, or are you a plug and forget type of person?

If that is the biggest of a "drop" that the wheels will see, and you are a smooth rider, go for it. You can always build a stronger wheelset for your days of DH, but I am sure that the SL's will work fine.

If you do nit like them, sell them as the race wheelset that they are, and build what you want around a Woodman Lefty hub and a bllack King ISO if that is something that interests you.

Are you planning on keeping the Jekyll? If so, you have a backup wheelset already, for the grimey says.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts