Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, maybe I'm the biggest geek on the block, but I have a set of Crossmax SL's, and Mavic has not seen fit to produce a 29er version yet. I LOVE these wheels, they are truely different, and my riding style allows them to be bulletproof, I'm not a big FR/drops type of guy. So here's the question that just poped into my head, I'll call them when I get to the shop today, but thought someone might have beat me to it here. Kysyriums are the road version of the wheels in question. Spoke lengths are limited to production wheels' lengths. Kysyriums are non disc only, no surprise there, but are the hub dimensions close enough, that you could build a Xmax hub, into a Kysyrium hoop? I know others here are using various Mavic road product on the trails with good success, and these are burlier than any of those, so, am I the only one, or am I behind the curve on this?

·
Don't be a sheep
3,442 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
Okay, maybe I'm the biggest geek on the block, but I have a set of Crossmax SL's, and Mavic has not seen fit to produce a 29er version yet. I LOVE these wheels, they are truely different, and my riding style allows them to be bulletproof, I'm not a big FR/drops type of guy. So here's the question that just poped into my head, I'll call them when I get to the shop today, but thought someone might have beat me to it here. Kysyriums are the road version of the wheels in question. Spoke lengths are limited to production wheels' lengths. Kysyriums are non disc only, no surprise there, but are the hub dimensions close enough, that you could build a Xmax hub, into a Kysyrium hoop? I know others here are using various Mavic road product on the trails with good success, and these are burlier than any of those, so, am I the only one, or am I behind the curve on this?
Probably a LONG shot as Ksyriums are radial front and radial driveside rear which is a much shorter spoke than you would probably need for the crossing pattern used on the CrossMaxx disc hub. Because of the funkiness of that wheelset I wouldn't even know how to do the calculations to check if the spokes would work. I suppose you could check the length of some SpeedCity spokes and see if the ksyriums are close to those.

·
Registered
492 Posts
The main thing to make this work - as you suspect - would be to have close enough hub dimensions. The thing to do would be measure the hub flange spacing and height for both hubs, and put those dims into a spoke calculator. If the required spoke lengths are +/- 1mm I'd say it's worth giving it a try if your heart's set on this and you have the parts available.

As for some general advice on whether this is a wise thing to do I would say it's probably not. Basically you've got the cost of two (pricey) wheelsets for only one set of wheels. In addition, the Ksyrium rim is going to be on the light and narrow side of what's suitable for offroad use. Then finally, you can build a set of wheels out of stock parts which I guarantee will fit the same performance criteria you're looking for from these wheels, at a much lower price, and with the added benefit that replacement parts are readily available. Just my $0.02.

Sam

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I'm a dummy, Just talked with Mavic, actually a 29er convert on the other end, he wants them as badly as I do. Problem is, different number of spokes, all other issues aside, that pretty much kills it. But for those who care about it, He said thay have been getting alot of pressure, and may move on it at some point in the near future, don't hold your breath though=:) Singular, have you ever ridden a set? I'm a long time mechanic and wheel builder, they ride very differently than anything I can build with steel spokes. The aluminum spokes are so stiff, the make for a vastly stiffer platform. I have been riding them for about 5 years, and a few months ago, rode a bike of mine that had been sitting for a long while, with conventional wheels that I built, DB spokes, 819 rims, king hubs, nice and tight. The difference was night and day. It's not that steel spokes suck, they just have more elongation, and as such, in a high speed cornering situation, they tend to belly out more, and make the rear end feel squashy. This is a good thing, cause it adds comfort to any hardtail, road bike, non suspension ride out there. Howevere, put a bunch of squish under you, and that need for comfort becomes less of an issue. At that point, and with the higher speeds FS bikes tend to "encourage" a monstrously stiff wheel makes the bike handle like its on rails, way cool. Thanks for the thoughts!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Nater said:
Do a search for Industry9 wheels here. They use straight-pull proprietary "Mavic-type" aluminum spokes, proprietary hubs, and rims of your choice. Maybe the closest thing to 29er Cross-Max SLs?

www.industrynine.net
I was going to recommend that as well...you beat me to it. It would appear the I9's is the Crossmax lovers answer to 29er wheels...

From Industry Nine's website:

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Cloxxki said:
Better looks, less flex. I liked how my '97 CrossMax rode though, on an FS.
Perhaps, but those wheels are also almost twice as expensive as a Crossmax XL if my memory serves. I second the 29er Crossmax jones. Get 'er done.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Axis II said:
Perhaps, but those wheels are also almost twice as expensive as a Crossmax XL if my memory serves. I second the 29er Crossmax jones. Get 'er done.
I think modern Xmax SL disc's retail out at 799, right? or is it 899?? I don't know, I just googled it and found them at coloradocyclist.com...apparently they only offer them seperately, and the prices were 422 for the front and 459 for the rear. So I'm guessing the 899 is retail for a pair.

Edit: Just found them at Jensonusa.com for $899 w/6-bolt, or $894 w/centerlocking disc:
https://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/WH707A02-Mavic+Crossmax+Sl+Disc+Wheelset.aspx

The I9's retail out at 825 I think...and you can choose your colors and rim...plus it's 32hole with no nipples (read: it'll be a stiffer wheel)...and available in a 29er.

If you're a big spender, and coming from a passion of Crossmax's, it seems like a pretty clear choice.

Another couple pictures from thier website, this time in the 20mm thru-axle front:

·
Registered
492 Posts
Glad to hear they work for you. I've not spent a huge amount of time on either Crossmaxes or Ksyriums, so am probably not so well informed as you as to comment on their potential benefits. I am quite sure of their downfalls in terms of longevity and replaceability, but if they're working for you that's cool. I guess you could say I'm just ideologically opposed to aluminium spokes.

Cheers,

Sam

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
29inch said:
I think modern Xmax SL disc's retail out at 799, right? or is it 899?? I don't know, I just googled it and found them at coloradocyclist.com...apparently they only offer them seperately, and the prices were 422 for the front and 459 for the rear. So I'm guessing the 899 is retail for a pair.

Edit: Just found them at Jensonusa.com for $899 w/6-bolt, or $894 w/centerlocking disc:
https://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/WH707A02-Mavic+Crossmax+Sl+Disc+Wheelset.aspx

The I9's retail out at 825 I think...and you can choose your colors and rim...plus it's 32hole with no nipples (read: it'll be a stiffer wheel)...and available in a 29er.

If you're a big spender, and coming from a passion of Crossmax's, it seems like a pretty clear choice.

Another couple pictures from thier website, this time in the 20mm thru-axle front:

The Crossmax SLs are more expensive then the XLs which is what I was referring to. I've seen the Crossmax XL non-disks on sale for 599.00 fairly regularly. They aren't flyweights at 1624gms but they are bomber and I think a stiffer wheel then the SLs. That's what I want in a 29 config. If I9 can get the price down to that range then I'd take a closer look. BTW, anyone know how heavy the I9s are in the 26 non-disk flavor?

·
Registered
166 Posts
mikesee said:
Huh? Please explain?
I think it's safe to say that a well built 32 hole wheel with any rim of your choice will be stiffer than a Mavic Krysiruium (excuse spelling) at what, 20 spokes, or even a 24 spoke Crossmax, both of which are the specific bases of comparisons in this thread.

Not sure how to explain that further....shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line.

I don't think the person who loves crossmaxs and is considering a set of low-spoke count road wheels as his lightweight 29er wheelset would go after some beefy Holms rims.

·
This place needs an enema
16,916 Posts
29inch said:
I think it's safe to say that a well built 32 hole wheel with any rim of your choice will be stiffer than a Mavic Krysiruium (excuse spelling) at what, 20 spokes, or even a 24 spoke Crossmax, both of which are the specific bases of comparisons in this thread.
Thanks for the explanation. Although, I was more curious about how a (perceived?) lack of nipples would affect wheel stiffness.

29inch said:
Not sure how to explain that further....shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line.
OK, you lost me again.

29inch said:
I don't think the person who loves crossmaxs and is considering a set of low-spoke count road wheels as his lightweight 29er wheelset would go after some beefy Holms rims.
?? Who said anything about that??

MC

·
Registered
166 Posts
mikesee said:
Thanks for the explanation. Although, I was more curious about how a (perceived?) lack of nipples would affect wheel stiffness.
Naw, my bad, I was referring primarily to the spoke count...although I would hazzard a reckless guess that a thick alum spoke with no nipples would be stiffer than a junction with more interconnected parts. Kindof the Occums Razor of wheel building and design? Again, I meant the spokes, but the nipples/no nipples thing seems to pass a "back of the napkin" common sense test...to me anyway.

mikesee said:
OK, you lost me again.
Ah, I was just joking about the difficulty of describing why 32 spokes would be stiffer than 20 or 24 spokes becuase it seems so self evident (given other things being equal I suppose)...kind of like describing postulates of geometry, where the most basic definition of a line is merely the shortest distance between 2 points......bad comparison?

mikesee said:
?? Who said anything about that??MC
About Holm rims? Well, I just mention that becuase whenever a reference is made to 29er wheel stiffness, you typically chime in with a laundry list of rims that are unacceptably un-stiff (aka flimsy, flexy, etc), and come out with a list of rims, typically including Holms, that are adequately stiff. To save the time, I figured I would note and subsequently dissmiss those stiff though overboard options for the originator of this post, with the flagship stiff rims offered by our unicycling friend.

Cool?

·
This place needs an enema
16,916 Posts
29inch said:
Naw, my bad, I was referring primarily to the spoke count...although I would hazzard a reckless guess that a thick alum spoke with no nipples would be stiffer than a junction with more interconnected parts. Kindof the Occums Razor of wheel building and design? Again, I meant the spokes, but the nipples/no nipples thing seems to pass a "back of the napkin" common sense test...to me anyway.
Oh. Not sure I agree with you, but it's hypothetical, so it really doesn't matter.

29inch said:
Ah, I was just joking about the difficulty of describing why 32 spokes would be stiffer than 20 or 24 spokes becuase it seems so self evident (given other things being equal I suppose)...kind of like describing postulates of geometry, where the most basic definition of a line is merely the shortest distance between 2 points......bad comparison?
Gotcha.

29inch said:
About Holm rims? Well, I just mention that becuase whenever a reference is made to 29er wheel stiffness, you typically chime in with a laundry list of rims that are unacceptably un-stiff (aka flimsy, flexy, etc), and come out with a list of rims, typically including Holms, that are adequately stiff. To save the time, I figured I would note and subsequently dissmiss those stiff though overboard options for the originator of this post, with the flagship stiff rims offered by our unicycling friend.
Stealing my thunder, eh? (kidding) In a situation like this, the KH rims would not have come to mind, and since I'm truly not trying to hijack this thread, I'll leave it at that.

On the other hand, I find it curious that there have been many claims about the stiffness of the I9 wheels, yet with no proof. If there is real proof (I'm sure someone will chime in with a theoretical proof), can someone direct me to it?

Thanks,

MC

·
Registered
166 Posts
mikesee said:
On the other hand, I find it curious that there have been many claims about the stiffness of the I9 wheels, yet with no proof. If there is real proof (I'm sure someone will chime in with a theoretical proof), can someone direct me to it? Thanks, MC
Me too...although who knows what proof is really, unless we send them to some serious German testing lab. I figure I can ride different rims and PROVE them to myself...for instance, I've found various "flexy" rims to be adequately stiff to me..all the proof I need...but I'm not sure I could prove that to anyone else, nor that anyone else could prove stiffness to me either way...

In terms of testing, and reviews......i think I saw a pair on a bike photo'd on this site a few months ago - the first ones I ever saw......however...seeing as you can pick your own rim, I suppose they could vary in stiffness from not so stiff to ultra stiff...say a 20mm thru-axle DH hubbed set laced to a Holm would probably be pretty much as stiff as any wheelset, whereas other light-XC duty ones laced to an average rim would be of average stiffness. Again, back of the napkin logic.

My set will feature a DT 7.1 rim. My goal is reasonable weight, and reasonable stiffness.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.