Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So according to the Mavic manual from their website, the rear QR axle should be torqued to 10 Nm. But when I torque it to 10 Nm, the wheel no longer spins when reinstalled back on the bike. It will only spin freely at a much lower torque.

Anyone find that to the be case? I used a beam torque wrench, so it's fairly accurate and not out of calibration.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
Have you played with the bearing preload after? Bearing preload should be adjusted when the wheel is mounted, maybe yours are just too tight. Loosen the bearing preload thing, thighten it again until resistance increase, then back out a quarter turn. But using a torque wrench for the QR? That's a bit overachieving isn't it?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't mean the actual quick release mechanism to tighten wheel to the frame. I mean the actual axle - you have to unscrew the axle to remove the hub (to clean/lube the pawls, and insides of the freehub body with mineral oil) left side uses 10mm Allen, and right side uses 5mm Allen. And requires loctite when reassembled. But yeah, at 10 Nm, it's crazy tight and won't spin at all.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I could see the hub cone locking nut torqued to 10 N-m (88 in-lb) against the cone nut. That is the lower end of the suggested torque range on the Park Tool web site for locking nuts. I looked on the Mavic website, but couldn't find their manual. This would be independent of the preload on the bearings.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Well that page from the manual certainly doesn't help figure out how to adjust preload. On a King hub that comes apart with two 5mm allens, there is still a separate preload adjuster; is there nothing like that referred to in the rest of that manual? Any technical drawing? I too had looked on the Mavic site and found nothing helpful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.