Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read a lot about the mavic 823 being bomb proof, width being a good amount bigger than the very popular 819. But was wondering if anyone is running one or has had feedback on running them tubeless in any am applications?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Hey BC -- I briefly looked into those rims when building up my bike. They are solid and have a nice profile, but man are they heavy. Personally I think they're overkill unless you're going to spend a fair amount of time in the air (casing landings) or at Northstar.

Like everyone else looking for an all-around rim, I wish Mavic would make a UST rim around the same weight as the 819 but closer to 28mm wide. That said, I haven't had any problems running my DT 5.1s tubeless with the DT Swiss kit. People also seem to like Stan's Flows (also not a true UST rim) and Mavic 721s for similar weight/width rims. Those are all around 500g per rim, as is the 819. I think the 823 is around 700g.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
baycat said:
Read a lot about the mavic 823 being bomb proof, width being a good amount bigger than the very popular 819. But was wondering if anyone is running one or has had feedback on running them tubeless in any am applications?
I was using some 823s front and rear for a while on one of my bikes. I ended up cracking the rear, but I suspect it was due to overtensioning the spokes. (I've also cracked two 819 rims.)

Details regarding the cracked rims can be found in this thread. I ended up rebuilding the 823 rear wheel with an 819. The thing is though, I used the cracked wheel for several more rides (with a tube) and it held up very well. The crack didn't grow, and I suspect that it would've been very usable for quite a while still. OTOH, the cracks in the 819 rims were very bad and I suspect that they would've gotten a lot worse very quickly.

I'm still using an 823 for the front wheel. It's been working well.

With regard to tubeless... I've only used UST tires with the rims (both 823 and 819). No complaints on that front either. They work great.

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting read. What kind of bike were you running the 823s on? And how do you weigh with riding gear?

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
819's are too narrow for the tires I prefer to ride (2.3 and up) and for hard cornering, IMO. I've seen a lot of guys roll their tires on hard landings and railing corners with 819 rims. I prefer being confident in turns - especially if there's a move where carrying speed out of the turn is critical. 823's have a weight penalty, yes, but have been bombproof (using your term) for me. I'm light at 160 lbs., but ride a lot of bigger stuff on my trailbike. YMMV

EB

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have 823's laced to 32 hole XT hubs with double butted 14/15 spokes front & rear on my new Nomad.

My prior wheelset (on a different bike) was a Mavic X3.1 (similar to the 819), also with 14/15 spokes and 32h XT hubs. The 823's are a better fit for 2.3+ tires than the X3.1. Seat of the pants, I don't really notice the extra weight of the 823's, but I have never ridden the two wheelsets back-to-back on the same bike, and I am also not a weight weenie, so YMMV. For me, the extra weight was a worthwhile trade-off to gain the extra rim width.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
Depends on the tire.

ebxtreme said:
I've seen a lot of guys roll their tires on hard landings and railing corners with 819 rims.
EB
I resemble that comment:D

One thing I have learned for sure, it's not really the tires size that can cause issues with mavic 819s... rather it's the fit of the bead and the thickness of the sidewall of that particular tire.

Try mounting the same tire on an 819 and an 823 rim, if you have both (I do). You will find the same tire is a much tighter fit on the 823. It would seem the 823's bead chanel is slightly larger in diameter, or has a bigger lip. Either way the bead lock is more secure on the 823 regardless of tire width.... which is good because it prevents the tire from folding over.

I've been perfectly happy with 819's, but have learned the hard way, you have to be selective about what tires you run tubeless. Light, thin, loose fitting tires (Even "UST" versions) will fold and burp at low pressures, regardless of tire size. Heavy, thick, wire-bead dual-ply DH tires work great though, even up to a 2.4-2.5, no problem.

If you wanna run light tires... then go with the 823's. ;)

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Solid advice FM :thumbsup:
Not sure about the light tires on 823's, but otherwise my experience is similar. I think that 823 are good for 2.2-2.5 tires where the 819 is more of the 2.0-2.2 range. I don't like the way that 2.3 and wider tires roll and squirm on 819 rims.

Main reason to avoid the 823 is mass. I got tired of hauling the extra weight around.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I just built my first set of rims King hubs on 823 rims for my intense 6.6 and I wouldn't trade them for anything. They are heavier, but I love the way the additional weight feels once I get them spinning, they hold momentum so much better. Also, if you're doing steep technical climbs you'll appreciate the extra stiffness.

Stan's flow rims are lighter and were the other rims I was considering, but I didn't like the fact that they don't have spoke eyelets and they're not nearly as stiff or as durable as the 823s.

Now that I have these rims I don't have to cringe when a rock flys up and smacks them or anything, I've abused them pretty bad so far and I never end up with nothing more than a little mark in the anodizing.

If you plan on running big tires ust tubeless I don't see how there's really another option.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
2 things...

1. Like FM I have both 819's and 823's on two of my bikes. Bead seating/matching is more critical on 819's but I can tell you I ran 2.35 UST Fat Alberts and that setup flat out RAWKED with no burping or rolling no matter how hard I rode them.

2. You are going to CRACK either 819's or 823's IF you run your air pressures too low for your weight!!! Mavic rims are very hard - they crack instead of dinging/denting like most others if abused (and they take a lot more abuse than the ones that dent). BE REALISTIC about how low you run your pressures at. Run over a curb at low speed while remaining seated; if you feel the curb bottom on the rim, well you might wanna increase the pressure!

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
I would vote for overkill as I'm running 819's now and have been burp free. I suppose this is very tire dependent though. I'm running 2.5 single ply Minion DHF's with a stans strip. Was hoping to avoid the stans strip with stans sealant but it didn't work out that way for me. Suffice it to say this tire/wheelset sees extremely aggressive use and doesn't do anything funny.

·
yelgatgab
459 Posts
I'll second what FM said. The 819 will hang on to a stiffer tire, but anything really light will inevitably roll off. A tube will keep a lighter tire in place, but that sort of defeats the purpose.

Kenda needs to make a DTC/UST El Moco.

·
Registered
445 Posts
You might want to look into the EN521 rim. at 540 grams its lighter than the 823, and its a wider rim than the 819. I have been using these rims for a year and only needed to true them once, and I abuse wheels before I got the 521s I had destroyed more than a few rims. I run tubes currently but may be picking up a stans kit soon.

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
I've been rocking the X3.1 which is the 819 for years now. It's taken tons of hits and even snakebit several tires without any dents or cracks. I'm now riding borderline freeride stuff on them and they're holding up. I'm light at about 160lbs tho. I do find them a bit narrow, but the largest tire I really run is a 2.35 UST Nevegal.

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is there a place to source the X3.1s? Know they are discontinued and only seen random front wheels pop up on ebay every now and then.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
ebxtreme said:
old: x3.1 = new: 819

old: D3.1 = new: 823

I wouldn't bother trying to track down an x3.1. They're the same rim as far as I can tell.
i highly recommend buying 819 rims and having custom x3.1 stickers made

1 - 20 of 26 Posts