Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
DT's spoke calculator will give you the right numbers. Just note that the spoke lengths will be 4mm shorter with DT 16mm nipples (and ONLY DT brand 16mm nipples).

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
Both are incorrect. The correct ERD to use is 535. Mavic uses a measurement called "spoke support diameter", it's essentially 3mm off of the more commonly used ERD measurements that other rims use. They list the SSD number as 532, so ERD for spoke calc is 535.

Larry
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
drnich said:
Thanks for your help. Would you plug 535 into the DT swiss calculator or just use another calc.
Plugging 535 into the DT one should work fine. Never hurts to double check it with another calc program too though.

Larry

G

·
what homebrew said.

most spoke calculators will give you the correct spoke length for shorter nips. if you use the suggested 16mm nips (mavic suggests them for clearance when used with UST rims) you will need to subtract 4mm.

i learned this the hard way :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have the mavic XM819 Disc also. I used 534mm ERD at prowheelbuilder dot com to calculate my spokes with a Hadley 32 hole 3 cross front hub. I got 260mm spokes and 12mm nipples for both sides but after putting the nipples on so no thread show and the rims inserts tight the spokes seem really loose to me.

Has any one else built this rim/hub combo and remember the spoke length?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.