Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold my rear Rhyno Lite so I can upgrade to disc brakes. I'm thinking of using Rhyno Lite on XTs as training wheels, and 717s on XTs as my race wheel set. Now, I'm wondering if the Mavic 717 will stand up to everyday abuse and if I am wasting money by using the Rhyno Lites as a training wheel?? Simple because these two wheelsets are VERY close in price...

I'm about 190 lbs, and I ride mostly techcial trails with max 1ft drops..

Comments/Suggestions???

Ming

·
Registered
239 Posts
macming said:
I sold my rear Rhyno Lite so I can upgrade to disc brakes. I'm thinking of using Rhyno Lite on XTs as training wheels, and 717s on XTs as my race wheel set. Now, I'm wondering if the Mavic 717 will stand up to everyday abuse and if I am wasting money by using the Rhyno Lites as a training wheel?? Simple because these two wheelsets are VERY close in price...

Comments/Suggestions???

Ming
I'm about your size with full gear on. I've been riding the XC717's for the past month and am very impressed with the wheel. I have not encountered any flexing and has not gone out of true. I too refrain from doing anything over a foot or so.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I weigh in at 185 and I have been riding XT hubs on 717 rims for over a year and have had no problems at all. I ride agressive XC (not quite freeride) and do loop twice a week with some pretty technical abusive downhill and have had no problems at all with the 717's holding up. I previously ran the 517's and they seemed to be a bit weaker. I'm not sure what size tires you are planing on using, but something to keep in mind is that the 717's are narrower than the Rhyno lites. Running larger (fatter) tires on the 717's will produce a little more sidewall flex. I run a 2.24 and a 2.4 on my 717's and I do get a bit of flex due to the narrow rim, but nothing major.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like pricepoint does not have the 6-bolt XT hubs on 717s for $199 :mad:

Maybe I'll go with Hugi Onyx hubs now instead of dealing with the Shamino bearing maintaince :D Any other place that has the wheelset I'm looking for??

Ming

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
macming said:

Maybe I'll go with Hugi Onyx hubs now instead of dealing with the Shamino bearing maintaince :D Any other place that has the wheelset I'm looking for??

Ming
Second the Syncrso and DT rims:) But I will also say get some Hope XC hubs instead of the hugis...

·
Baby Bear is in the house
2,069 Posts
Could I get a clarification on that? Is 23mm the inside or outside width of those Syncros?

MK_ said:
If you'll opt for a hand built wheel, take a look at syncros DS23, (http://www.syncros.com/rims.htm) and DT Swiss 4.1d (http://www.dtswiss.com/index.asp?fuseaction=rims.bikedetail&id=1). They are nearly identical weight wise and significantly stronger. Both are also wider, DS23 is 23mm, D4.1d is 21.6mm, 717 is 17mm for comparison, so you get bigger footprint for whatever tire you run and less roll on the big 'uns.

_MK

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
rigel said:
Could I get a clarification on that? Is 23mm the inside or outside width of those Syncros?
outside.

_MK

·
Registered
781 Posts
macming said:

Ming
Onyx is nice, I have one on my rear wheel for 3 years now and I had no problems (I have been using Hugy hubs from the beginning w/ great results) I'm using it with Mavic X3.1 rims. I'm now in upgrade process to King + XR 4.1d rims. I bought DT rims for my road bike and the quality so great it conviced me to buy them for MTB. I compared the welds to Crossmax wheel and I think Mavic shoud feel ashamed.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
macming said:

Ming
They'll probably hold up great if they're well-built (proper tension). One thing you may notice....they flex a bit. I'm only 170# and they have considerable flex compared to the 819s that I recently got.

At your weight....I'd go for a beefier wheel. Better control and will probably last longer.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Blue Shorts said:
They'll probably hold up great if they're well-built (proper tension). One thing you may notice....they flex a bit. I'm only 170# and they have considerable flex compared to the 819s that I recently got.

At your weight....I'd go for a beefier wheel. Better control and will probably last longer.
Speaking of flexy components, I also run a SID up front, and I dont really notice the flex very much. I did notice the front end being more stable with my Rhyno Lite instead of my Mavic 221 mounted.

What do you think aobu tthe DT 4.1d?? I already have one front Rhyno Lite already, so buying only a rear one wouldn't be so expensive.

Maybe I should have a race wheel with an everyday beefy and cheap wheel :D I find even my Mavic 221 is holding up ok on technical trails, it just goes out of true when I hit one curb sideways :mad:

Ming

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
macming said:
Speaking of flexy components, I also run a SID up front, and I dont really notice the flex very much. I did notice the front end being more stable with my Rhyno Lite instead of my Mavic 221 mounted.

What do you think aobu tthe DT 4.1d?? I already have one front Rhyno Lite already, so buying only a rear one wouldn't be so expensive.

Maybe I should have a race wheel with an everyday beefy and cheap wheel :D I find even my Mavic 221 is holding up ok on technical trails, it just goes out of true when I hit one curb sideways :mad:

Ming
At first, I didn't notice flexing with my 2001 SID XC. That was until I installed a Marzocchi Marathon S in it's place. Holy cow! The difference was night and day. I'll never ride on a SID again.

I'm not familiar with the DT wheels, so I can't offer any opinion. Your idea of using a Rhyno lite for everyday riding and a lighter set for racing is a good one.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
DT 4.1d's rule. I am 200lbs and have had no troubles for almost a year. You would be smart not to get the 717's due to their narrow width. A little wider will give you more flexibility in running wider tires

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
bigdrunk said:
DT 4.1d's rule. I am 200lbs and have had no troubles for almost a year. You would be smart not to get the 717's due to their narrow width. A little wider will give you more flexibility in running wider tires
What's the internal width of the DT 4.1d?

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
macming said:

Comments/Suggestions???

Ming
Personally, I could not recommend the 717s for the riding you describe and/or your weight. I was not impressed at all when I ran them on my Tracer which was truly used for XC riding.

The DT Swiss XR4.1d or Syncros 23 (if you can deal with white) would be my first choice for a XC rim that is not a wimpy rim. On paper, The DT Swiss is approximately the same inside width (17mm) but is a tad wider 21.6 vs 20.0mm I think, and I believe taller. I personally believe, though it is subjective, that regardless, the DT Swiss is simply a much more robust rim and would never go with the 717. I would also be happy to be a guinea pig with the new Syncros and almost when with them for the new bike I just ordered and would have, except I wanted to try UST.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
FoShizzle said:
Personally, I could not recommend the 717s for the riding you describe and/or your weight. I was not impressed at all when I ran them on my Tracer which was truly used for XC riding.

The DT Swiss XR4.1d or Syncros 23 (if you can deal with white) would be my first choice for a XC rim that is not a wimpy rim. On paper, The DT Swiss is approximately the same inside width (17mm) but is a tad wider 21.6 vs 20.0mm I think, and I believe taller. I personally believe, though it is subjective, that regardless, the DT Swiss is simply a much more robust rim and would never go with the 717. I would also be happy to be a guinea pig with the new Syncros and almost when with them for the new bike I just ordered and would have, except I wanted to try UST.

Cheers
I took you advice and picked up some DT XT 4.1d on Onyx Hubs on ebay for $159. I can't believe the deal :D

·
I already rode that
1,632 Posts
I ride with 717's and have no problems with them and how I ride and Im about the same weight (185)as the original poster 2 years** so far and only needed truing once and that was a month after I bought them and had the shop build them up.

** early last year I bought em and counting this year as another even though I prob only really had them for 17m :rolleyes:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.