Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a Turner Burner and would appreciate anyone's input on a set a wheel Mavic 517 with Chris King hubs seen at Cambriabike.com for $499.00.
I am 205 lbs and ride only fire roads without drop-offs, rocks, roots...

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
VTT said:
I am building a Turner Burner and would appreciate anyone's input on a set a wheel Mavic 517 with Chris King hubs seen at Cambriabike.com for $499.00.
I am 205 lbs and ride only fire roads without drop-offs, rocks, roots...
This is a good wheelset. I'm 185 lbs, and these are light and work well for fireroads, racing, and light to moderate XC stuff. JensonUSA advertises them for a little less.

·
Registered
446 Posts
straight or DB spokes ?

Hey Fire, long time no see.
What spokes are on your 517/king wheelsets? I ride 2.5's WeirdWolfs on 517 straight 14's currently with low inflation, round 28 to 32 PSI. I do notice tire roll and flex on baby heads and the like, some or most, of this is likely due to combination of fatty on 17mm rim and soft sidewall/low PSI of the tire itself. I weigh 165 and love technical rocky stuff.

I can currently grab with my hand the chainstay and rim and with one hand squeezing ( I am no iron mon ) I can get the rim to move about 2mm when my spokes are around the 100lb tension.

I wonder if I opt for 14/15 DB's whether the wheelset will be flexier laterally?

Do you have and suggestions ?

·
Premium Member
7,599 Posts
VTT, noting that you live in CA (in fact you live where I work), skip cambria bike and get the wheels from Mike Garcia at Odds & Endoes, or Larry @ Mtnhighcyclery.com. Both are excellent wheelbuilders, their prices will be better than Cambria and no sales tax. Both are well known on these boards.

If you want to see set of wheels built by Larry, I have some Hope XC, Mavic 3.1 UST wheels he built on my Burner and I would be happy to show them to you/let you give the bike a ride to see how they feel. We should get together and ride when you get your burner done, as I have not seen another one in the area.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.