Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
over my head
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, ok , I know hands down the Crossmax SL is the better wheel but ...

I have mavic 317 / XT right now. A buddy has virtually brand new SLs (2006) that he will sell me for $500.00. He is more of a free rider and he wants the XLs. Ride: 2005 Stumpy FSR Pro Fox Triad in back (100mm) and Minute one (130mm).

I am a cross country rider that rides twice a week... i know the Xmax looks much cooler and I'm tempted by that fact alone, BUT, will I really notice much of a difference? Any idea what the real world weight savings are?

I run tube not tubeless and would be willing to convert to tubeless at the end of the season (once I wear out these tires). I appreciate anyone's thoughts on this...:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
For $500 or less, you can get a great custom set of wheels with high-end hubs and nothing proprietary... like the the crossmax. You can get 819s with Hope hubs (if you want UST tubeless).... or 717s... All of those choices are better than the Mavic wheels, imo.

·
MTB'er
653 Posts
Crossmax SL's... get 'em!

Reliable, bomb-proof, very nice looking... what else could you ask for? You'll also save some weight over your existing wheels. On my experience, the only advantage of tubeless is it doesn't bite so you don't get punctures because of this. Otherwise you'll need to carry a spare tube and patches as usual (or use some sealant).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.