Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got word that the first shipment will be arriving early Summer. Apparently, they will do a Crossmax type UST and a 20mm thru UST.

This should please a lot of people and lend even more credibility.

·
Old Fart at Play
637 Posts
Yes!

That's what I'm talkin' about! Mavic Crossmax 29'er UST goodness! Suddenly those I9 wheels are not pulling at my wallet quite as hard.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Davidcopperfield said:
Hello
Which of those Mavic 622mm wheels are for 20mm throguh axle for disc brakes and with XTR or similar in excellence? I cannot find them on their website. Which one are the best wheelset for hard XC Trail and light AM/Enduro but not wider than 23 inner width- ideal for 2,1 inch tires. :???:
Do not expect details on the Mavic site until they are closer to shipping product.

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Davidcopperfield said:
Hello
Which of those Mavic 622mm wheels are for 20mm throguh axle for disc brakes and with XTR or similar in excellence? I cannot find them on their website. Which one are the best wheelset for hard XC Trail and light AM/Enduro but not wider than 23 inner width- ideal for 2,1 inch tires. :???:
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I am wondering when can we expect XTR 622mm/29" wheels? The size is not new to them, as they use 622mm wheels for trekking so making them stiffer and tensioning spokes (equipping with all variety xtr hubs) would not make much nuisance to them, don't you think?
By the way does anyone of you know how to contact them by the e-mail directly?

·
Sweep the leg!
3,804 Posts
That's all well and good but I picked up a set of older Mavic Reflex's at the swap. At 19mm wide they'll work just fine on the 42mm and narrower tires I'm going to run next season. I weighed them on a couple of diffenent scales and got 405g/408g for each rim twice.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Titus Maximus said:
That's what I'm talkin' about! Mavic Crossmax 29'er UST goodness! Suddenly those I9 wheels are not pulling at my wallet quite as hard.
The only advantage they would have over I9 is the UST part, and there aren't even any UST tires available...

go ahead and send jeff your money.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Please do correct me as I'm sur I'm wrong.

Aren't Crossmax's just there for looks and prestige? I had 1997 Crossmaxes, and I haven't sen the concept change. Somewhat light and somewhat stiff wheels with so-so hubs at a premium. Wheels that can be beat by any LBS, just selecting proper hubs, 32 or 36 spokes and a nice rim, to end up lighter, cheaper and stiffer/stronger.

I would like the sealed rim of course, spoke tape does not like me, and that feeling is mutual.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Cloxxki said:

Aren't Crossmax's just there for looks and prestige? I had 1997 Crossmaxes, and I haven't sen the concept change. Somewhat light and somewhat stiff wheels with so-so hubs at a premium. Wheels that can be beat by any LBS, just selecting proper hubs, 32 or 36 spokes and a nice rim, to end up lighter, cheaper and stiffer/stronger.

I would like the sealed rim of course, spoke tape does not like me, and that feeling is mutual.
You're out of your element here Cloxxki. I think this thread is for people who see a wheel as a wheel, not as an object made up of sub components, such as spokes, rim and a hub.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Yeah, but...

Quasi said:
You're out of your element here Cloxxki. I think this thread is for people who see a wheel as a wheel, not as an object made up of sub components, such as spokes, rim and a hub.
If there is no advantage, what's the point? To look more trick? If they weight more, are less stiff, and cost more, why would somebody drop coin on them? So they can send them back to the LBS or the factory when a spoke breaks, taking your bike out of commission for weeks? No thanks. I like the I9 stuff, because it does have an advantage over traditional stuff, but I have yet to see this from Mavic.

*edit*

Okay, I do like the idea of Mavic's nail head spokes to reduce the possibility of breakage at the j-bend. I wish other mfgs did this, and the LBSs stocked nail head spokes... but they don't.

·
Old Fart at Play
637 Posts
You're wrong.

Cloxxki said:

Looks and prestige? I could care less. Lighter, maybe. Cheaper, probably. Stiffer/stronger, I don't think so (for a comparable weight). My Crossmax SL's are the best wheels I've ever owned. Light, stiff, strong. Zero problems. Have never even needed truing in a year and a half! And UST is the icing on the cake.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
IF it's true and they do produce a tubeless version, expect them to be more than I9's. I bought the crossmax when they originally came out - $800. They did work well, though. The only drawback is they were a little flexy and used plastic internals.

·
Old Fart at Play
637 Posts
The "UST part" is huge.

Fulton said:
The only advantage they would have over I9 is the UST part, and there aren't even any UST tires available...

go ahead and send jeff your money.
I assume that if Mavic produces a UST type rim for 29er, they will provide a tire, or tires, as well. Others will follow. That's a good thing in my book. I've always used UST tires (with Stan's goop) with my UST rims, dispite the added weight. I just don't trust the tubeless "systems" as much. That said, I just ordered some ZTR Arch rims to replace my "not tubeless friendly" Delgado Discs. So soon I will be "Stanitized". We'll see how that goes. In the mean time, I look forward to 29er UST.

·
2,822 Posts
Information has been given to reps and reps have been in touch with dealers so I'm sure this is not confidential any more. Heck, once you give info to a rep it's public knowledge.

Here is what I got emailed to me:

"You've probably heard by now that Mavic will release it's 29er tubeless wheelset in early summer. It's going to be huge!! It's based off of the new Crossmax ST platform and will retail for around $775. The 26" version of this wheel is the one lighter than the old SL and stiffer than the old XL. It currently comes in disc, and rim brake version. It WILL come in 29er, 29er 20mm axle, 26" 20mm axle."

Mavic designs their wheels so they don't have to see them again so they will be slighly heavier than a custom set...but stiff and an all around excellent wheel. Heck, I have been riding my Mavic Ksyrium road wheels for 15,000 miles and haven't touched them yet. Many of these miles are on unimproved dirt/gravel/farm county roads. Great engineering go into Mavic products. my .02 cents

·
SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
1,201 Posts
Yeah, but it's Mavic!

TiRyder said:
Just got word that the first shipment will be arriving early Summer. Apparently, they will do a Crossmax type UST and a 20mm thru UST.

This should please a lot of people and lend even more credibility.
I don't often tend to be the naysayer, but there's only one company that I refuse to use their product... that's Mavic. However, it's a long story and that's just me.

Granted, most of the world seems to think that they do really great work so it will probably be a good thing. However, after this many years, do we really need validation? The only thing that seem to constantly 'evolve' (sorry Kansas residents as I know that word is not allowed) is full suspension which, in my eyes, has still yet to be proven. 29'er have been around for 5-6 years, I'm actually getting a bit tired of hearing that we're a fad.

O.K., so everyone deserves a semi-negative post once in awhile. ;-)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.