Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
Singletrack.com said:
...improved longer-lasting freehub at the back...
Current freehubs suck, the only downside to Crossmax SL wheels (apart from their price tag). I wonder what the new ones are like... and what models will be available for a Lefty.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Maybe this is the difference: http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php...ic_ksyrium_es/Mavic_freehub_bodies_old_vs_new

So now SL Disc and SLR Disc are both the same in weight at 1520g. The presumably higher price tag (maybe not) of the SLR Disc would be due to what, color gimmick? I need more details.

I said "maybe not" is because yesterday I was at a LBS and they were pricing the Kyrisum ES and SL exactly the same. I heard that the ES is supposely better for hills and the SL better for flats.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
krayzie said:
Maybe this is the difference: http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php...ic_ksyrium_es/Mavic_freehub_bodies_old_vs_new

So now SL Disc and SLR Disc are both the same in weight at 1520g. The presumably higher price tag (maybe not) of the SLR Disc would be due to what, color gimmick? I need more details.

I said "maybe not" is because yesterday I was at a LBS and they were pricing the Kyrisum ES and SL exactly the same. I heard that the ES is supposely better for hills and the SL better for flats.
There has to be a typo in one of the weights. The SL are supposed to be 150 lighter than the 06 (whatever that makes) but the SLR are supposed to be even lighter.

And no, this old vs. new is very old vs. current. FTS vs. FTS-L. The Ksyrium ES uses the same freehub as the current SL and Ksyrium SL. For 2007, it's FTS-X.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
UPDATE:

Difference between the new SL and SLR wheels:

Mavic product manager quoted at Singletrackworld said:
The SLR will come with TI skewers, which save about 20g. Apart from that, the wheels are strictly identical. You can nearly look at them as 2 color options of the same wheel. The difference in price is explained by the Ti skewers, and the wheelbags given with the SLR.
Availability:

Mavic product manager quoted at Singletrackworld said:
The wheels are in production right now, they will be available from september on, depending on specific orders from our distributors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts