Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I'll be installing it first thing Sat morning - then a testride and a review.

I only bought it for downieville but want to get it all set up before then.....:thumbsup:

These warnings are pretty funny

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any install tips ?

francois said:
Nice. Little man rode with me and the speedball today. I don't have a front shifter so my remote is in the ideal spot.

fc
Very cool - do you have any install tips ? I'm going to have breakfast, install it and then go give it a test ride...

·
Mtbr Founder
35,021 Posts
Install tips...

The black little housing goes on the post as pictured.

Cut the cable and housing to the desired length. Most obvious way to secure the cable to the frame is with the front der cable.

Take out the cable slack with the barrel adjuster.

Rock and roll at Downieville like Ariel. Don't brake ;).

fc

Attachments

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips - just finished intall

Thanks for the tips - just finished intall - works pretty slick - but I have to say the directions SUCK - they are litteraly a photocopied black and white sheet with pictures so dark you can't see anything.

ANYWAY - it's on and working. There is a TINY bit of play in the post now - I'm assuming that's normal. It seems to work really well... silent and smooth operation....

Any maintenance tips? It looks like the insert part of the post will be a dirt magnet !!! It's lubricated with something....

francois said:
Install tips...

The black little housing goes on the post as pictured.

Cut the cable and housing to the desired length. Most obvious way to secure the cable to the frame is with the front der cable.

Take out the cable slack with the barrel adjuster.

Rock and roll at Downieville like Ariel. Don't brake ;).

fc

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm pretty predictable.....

baycat said:
Nice toy John!

Taking it out for a loop at Tamarancho?
BUT - not this time ! I branched out and went to Annadel.....

My friend Amy who lives up there gave me a route to take that she said was about 20 miles but it turned out to be only TEN !! Ohh well - still a fun ride...

From the Horse Trailer parking lot
- Canyon
- Marsh
- South Burma
- Spring Creek

So the SpeedBall R works GREAT - VERY Smooth and easy to operate. Francois - Thanks for the tips !

Annadel doesn't have too many opportunities to try it out but I did anyway and it was fun. The drop on this one is 3" and that's just about perfect. While riding it drops instantly and pops back up pretty quick as well. I think it will make a difference at DOWNEIVILLE and maybe some small steep sections on the back side of China Camp.

I give it 3 thumbs up :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
913 Posts
jhruth said:
BUT - not this time ! I branched out and went to Annadel.....

My friend Amy who lives up there gave me a route to take that she said was about 20 miles but it turned out to be only TEN !! Ohh well - still a fun ride...

From the Horse Trailer parking lot
- Canyon
- Marsh
- South Burma
- Spring Creek

So the SpeedBall R works GREAT - VERY Smooth and easy to operate. Francois - Thanks for the tips !

Annadel doesn't have too many opportunities to try it out but I did anyway and it was fun. The drop on this one is 3" and that's just about perfect. While riding it drops instantly and pops back up pretty quick as well. I think it will make a difference at DOWNEIVILLE and maybe some small steep sections on the back side of China Camp.

I give it 3 thumbs up :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Were you out there today? We just did 20 out there this morning:

- Channel
- Steve's
- Two Quarry
- Marsh
- Lawndale
- Schultz
- Ridge
- Marsh
- W. Richardson
- South Burma
- North Burma
- Channel

The descents on Lawndale, South Burma, and North Burma are some of the best I've done around here!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool - Thanks for the route...

Cool - Thanks for the route...

I'll try that next time...

Did you get lost in the dark again ??? :D :D

MrCrash said:
Were you out there today? We just did 20 out there this morning:

- Channel
- Steve's
- Two Quarry
- Marsh
- Lawndale
- Schultz
- Ridge
- Marsh
- W. Richardson
- South Burma
- North Burma
- Channel

The descents on Lawndale, South Burma, and North Burma are some of the best I've done around here!

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
francois said:
Nice. Little man rode with me and the speedball today. I don't have a front shifter so my remote is in the ideal spot.

fc
what happened to the wicked shifter? wanna sell it? trade for some 26" rubber? ;)

·
Mtbr Founder
35,021 Posts
grrrah said:
what happened to the wicked shifter? wanna sell it? trade for some 26" rubber? ;)
That's an old photo. I have a granny ring now and I use it lots.

The Speedball post is not locked when in the down position and it's been bothering me. It kind of floats up a little or gets pulled up by my behind. I think they're fixing that. Most important, Crank bros should make this in white.

fc

·
bicycle rider
2,718 Posts
francois said:
That's an old photo. I have a granny ring now and I use it lots.

The Speedball post is not locked when in the down position and it's been bothering me. It kind of floats up a little or gets pulled up by my behind. I think they're fixing that. Most important, Crank bros should make this in white.

fc
Hey FC, I had some similar problems with my Speedball remote, and I had to adjust the little set-screw that the cable-operated lever at the top of the post pushes, which unlocks the "shock" in the post. Try fiddling with that set-screw, if you haven't already?

My symptom was a post that seemed "locked" in the highest or lowest position - I couldn't get it to release so it could go up or down. Adjusted it out so the lever's travel at the top of the post fully engaged the release.

Morgan

·
Mtbr Founder
35,021 Posts
morganfletcher said:
Hey FC, I had some similar problems with my Speedball remote, and I had to adjust the little set-screw that the cable-operated lever at the top of the post pushes, which unlocks the "shock" in the post. Try fiddling with that set-screw, if you haven't already?

My symptom was a post that seemed "locked" in the highest or lowest position - I couldn't get it to release so it could go up or down. Adjusted it out so the lever's travel at the top of the post fully engaged the release.

Morgan
Ahh, different problem. But I did get what you're talking about today. I'll check it out.

My issue is when the post is in the down position, when you pull up on the saddle, it goes up. It' ain't locked down. It's not a dealbreaker but it bothers me now that I'm using it a lot. Actually, when I'm climbing with a 33 lb. bike, everything bothers me.

Maverick said they need to add a separate air chamber to lock it down.

fc

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
francois said:
Maverick said they need to add a separate air chamber to lock it down.

fc
hmm.. sounds like its best to wait a couple more months for some more kinks to be worked out. besides, Crank Bros, should be adding some colors soon. Need it in Atomic Bloo!

.... Blue is the next gold which is the current white ya know.

·
Registered
15 Posts
will we be able to trade in the maverick version that doesn't work for a crank bros one that might ?
mine doesn't return (2nd time after warranty work) and the clamp has completely broken.
needless tgo say its back to extra Uk for this puppy.

·
Registered
358 Posts
tried a gravity dropper?

FWIW, I purchased a gravity dropper, because the speedball didn't come in a size for my bike. I felt a bit dubious, after I got it. The remote looked kind of cheezy, and the clamp did in fact break after just a couple rides. Some zip ties "fixed" that. However, I've been using it for a couple months now, and seems to be holding up well. And, I now cannot imagine going back to stopping and using the QR.

·
EastBaySteez
4,726 Posts
Stumpy_Steve said:
another off question, but any idea if the crank bros will be any more expensive than the maverick, cause it's from crank bros?
Probably. :madman: I havnt talked to you in along time
Hows it goin steve!?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts