Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again

I was wondering if any of you folks with the Maverick SC32 fork on a pugsley have noticed any handling issues. The reason i ask is that i am getting ready to build myself a new fat tire frame based around the maverick fork. I did a quick measurement comparison between the ridged fork on the pug and my 29ers fox fork 80mm. The fox was over 2 inches taller from dropout to the base of the headset and i am sure the maverick is similar in size. I know that the fork sags with weight, but i am sure it is not 2 inches at the headset. I have not done the math yet, but i can only imagine that this would change the seat tube and headset, rake/ trail way off of what was intended for the bike. I was just wondering how it works for all of you out there so i have an idea of how to build my new bike. My current thinking is to raise the head tube the 2 or so inches to make the extra room for the fork and keep the trail in check. Please let me know what your thoughts are on the subject.

also, do you use a 100 or 135mm hub with the maverick?

Cheers-jimfab

·
nothing relevant to say
1,372 Posts
Maverick uses a proprietary hub with a 24mm huge hollow axle. They call it the 24/7 Hub. It is 110mm wide. Similar to ThruAxle20mm hubs.
I know 2.3" isn't really a 'fat tire by today's standards but SnowCat is rolling 650B rims too. They claim the 2.3" NeoMoto works nicely in loose conditions. I'm running a Maverick tuned SC32 on a rigid 650b custom. I'd like to build up a 650B using the Snowcat rims. I'd venture a guess to say the Pugsley will accept the Snowcat 27.5" rim with the 2.3" Pacenti NeoMoto.

·
another bozo on the bus
1,244 Posts
I find it somewhat ironic to see someone with the handle "Cracked Headtube" posting in this thread.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a "love-hate" relationship with the SC32 on my Pugs. It mos def changes the way the bike handles, but from the way I view it the pugs isnt exactly a carving tool. I tend to run it in the locked down position for any riding that requires alot of input or more (i use the following term loosely) precise handling. down hills are a blast with ths fork as it is much like driving a monster truck. but when it comes time for the brakes, be aware that there is going to be a startling amount of flex when you bear down on the brakes! the biigest gripr i have is the SC32 give the perceptio of "cjhopper like " rake . If you turn the bars too much in on direction, it seems to pull you that way. (no doubt something to do with the amount of rubber on the ground.)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've had one on my pugsley for just a few weeks but so far I like it. It does change the steering a little but it's only really noticeable on pavement and not bad. It feels like a lot more travel than it actually has. I noticed the change in standover height more than the geometry.
It's made my most fun bike even more fun. And heavier. But if that were a real issue with me I'd lose some weight.

·
A Surly Maverick
2,702 Posts
Here are some before and after shots of mine.

Running an SC32 got rid of two stem stackers and kept the bars in the same place.

I wouldn`t be without it.

It DOES make a fun bike FUNNER ! :D

PS:- you DO need a headset with a taller lower race to fit the SC32 or you get fork/ downtube interface ! :eekster:

See thread link below

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=499618

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cool

Thanks for your input, sounds like there is a fair amount of things to consider on the maverick. i may just try to build my own fork.

thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts