Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Addicted
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some opinions from folks that have ridden both the Maverick DUC32 and the Specialized E150's.

I'm building a 140mm travel frame that will end up getting used for everything. By everything I mean from commuting to work, to super d races and even some downhill. I have all sorts of "specific" bikes ready to ride but I'm finally making an attempt to build a "do everything" bike.

Now for my intended purpose I want to frame as stiff yet light as possible. Hence the all mountain oriented dual crown.

The Maverick fits the bill perfect. 520 axle to crown, stiff, light(3.9) lbs, mulitple hub options, air sprung, travel reduction/lockout(all in one).
I infact own a DUC 32 already on my Niner and love it.

I'm interested in the E150 simply for the sake of knowing that the Maverick is what I want to use.

Has anyone ridden both? How do they compare in stiffness, durability, small bump compliance, larger hit performance, service?
Specialized E150 axle to crown has been hard to find. What is it?
Can anyone confirm the weight on the E150?

-Kevin

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I'd stay with the DUC32. I have a durance right now with the DUC32 and had an Enduro SL with the e150. the e150 is a great fork - I never had any problems with it (plenty have...) but I found it stiff, plush and awesome. However, I have found the DUC32 to be all of those things plus plenty more cutstomisable (I love being able to switch between 29er and 26er) and there is plenty on Maverick's website and in these forums about how to get the ride you want. Both have proprietary hubs, steerer crowns, etc...

·
Addicted
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response.
I currently have a maverick on my Niner. I love the fork. It's stiff(especially for a 29er), light, efficient, plush and tuneable.

The Talas 32 140mm(stock fork) has a 10mm lower A2C than the Maverick. However with the Maverick having 10mm more travel they end up having such little difference in A2C after sag that my headtube angle will be affected about a 1/4 degree.

150mm-25% sag(37.5mm)= 112.5
140-25% sag(35mm)= 105
----------------------------------
Difference of 7.5mm or .29"

The big thing I'm thrilled about is running the King hubs on the Maverick. That's what I use on my Niner and I can always convert the hub over to 20mm later on.
I looked at the Hope hubs as they can do 9,15,20,24 all in the same shell, but I just love my Kings too much.

I'm going to pass on the E150 and go for the DUC32.

Thanks!
-Kevin

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
the e150 is noticably smoother, is more linear with an adjustable size air volume so you can control the ramp. It is also very stiff (think fox 36 stiff) in comparison to the duc 32 (wet noodle in comparison).

The chassis is better, the spring control is better, and the damping on the e150 is actually very nice. Comparing damping between the two is a bit of a joke its so much better with the e150. Just remember its tapered, and you'll need a tapered or 1.5 HT.

In short, if you can run the e150, it is a million times nicer in every way.

It will cost alot more though.

·
Addicted
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
E150 doesnt have as many hub options. The more I keep reading up on the two forks the more the E150 pushes me to the DUC32.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
William42 said:
the e150 is noticably smoother, is more linear with an adjustable size air volume so you can control the ramp. It is also very stiff (think fox 36 stiff) in comparison to the duc 32 (wet noodle in comparison).

The chassis is better, the spring control is better, and the damping on the e150 is actually very nice. Comparing damping between the two is a bit of a joke its so much better with the e150. Just remember its tapered, and you'll need a tapered or 1.5 HT.

In short, if you can run the e150, it is a million times nicer in every way.

It will cost alot more though.
you either had a much older version of the DUC or it wasnt set up right. also, the DUC is hardly a wet noodle... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
422 Posts
bmxconvert said:
Specialized E150 axle to crown has been hard to find. What is it?
Can anyone confirm the weight on the E150?
-Kevin
I have both the DUC32 and the E150. Regarding the axle to crown, with the fork tubes slid up to the 'minimum' setting (which is the shortest axle to crown), I measured the same as my Fox Talas 36 150mm or 545mm.

I like both forks, but the thing I notice most is the E150 seems to have more fork offset (ie the axle farther away from the fork centerline) and it seems to make the front wheel 'flop' left/right more. With the regular steerer tube, the E150 allows more stem options though, so I'm able to get some high angle stems to help get my high rise bars up taller for me.

E150 weight is about 5.4 lbs with topclamp/stem & axle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts