Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know DT says it's fine and there are quite a few running the DUC but hows it performing on the Spot? How does it compare to whatever you were running before the DUC?

I've got the SC on mine and feel the a to c when sagged is a bit too low and even though I use 170mm cranks I've been getting a lot more pedal strikes than with any other 125/130mm fork I've used on the Spot. The performance is pretty good but from reports I've read the DUC is better again by some margin. I've also been offered a very good p/ex deal on a DUC. The other option I'm considering is a Pike air team, so TS if you've any more info or comparisons of the two fire away. Deano if your reading this how've you found the DUC compared to your TALAS in UK conditions?

Any help or comments appreciated :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hi Paul!

Well it's early days with the fork, maybe 100 miles, and only on the relatively tame Chiltern trails, but so far a big improvement on the Fox; stiffer and not nearly so eager to dive. It feels slightly tall on steep climbs if not locked down and of course when it is locked down it loses almost all movement so that setting is fine for smoothish climbs or road work. Overall it's very confidence inspiring and light. I've also had up to 2.5" tyres in there with, of course, no clearance issues at all.

I've yet to try the SC, but will hopefully demo one soon on a friend's bike.

I'll be putting the Mav through it's paces properly next week in Fruita and Moab, so ask me again in 2 weeks time :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Worked for me!

I have run the DUC on my Spot since November last year and it works a treat, the ride height, in my opinion, is just right. The action of the fork is buttery smooth and I find it easily stiff enough for all the riding I have thrown at it. If you have the SC already then you have the wheel and thus this reduces the cost a little. If you are interested, mine are up for sale, PM me for photos etc if you are interested (changing frame and fork as we speak)

Cheers

D

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Do it........

What they said and --- > I've had mine since January of 04 and I really enjoy it. Cured UGI for me on the front shock issue. EXTREMELY light, as stiff as Michael Jackson at a Cub Scout meeting (credit esquire) and trouble free. I weigh 210 and ride aggressive single track, 2' trail drops with very little XC type spinning. I also have an RFX w a Z150 FR and the DUC is as plush and deep as the zoke but three pounds lighter!

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
The Pike Air is not travel adjustable (yet), and it weighs more. Other than that I like the operation more than my memories of the Mav, but it's been a while since I've been on one of those so it's hard to compare. The Pike is about half the price of the Mav if that is an issue. You already have the wheel as someone mentioned though, so unless you have a King 24mm hub which can be easily converted to 20mm, the cost issue may actually work back in the Mav's favor a little.

Dunno.

·
on a routine expedition
1,585 Posts
I've had the DUC32 on my Spot since August. It replaced a Fox Vanilla. The difference in stiffness is quite noticeable. The Maverick tracks much better through the rough and rocky stuff. The light weight is a plus as well.

My experience has not been totally positive, however. I've had a problem with leaky seals. I've replaced them once only to have the problem arise again. I understand the Maverick has new seals available now that reportedly cure the problem. I hope they work, because it's gotten tiresome fouling front brake pads. On the positive side, I've become a faster rider. Occasionally losing my front brake has taught me just how fast I can go on the descents.

I'm seriously considering replacing the Maverick with the 06 Pike Air U-Turn when they come out.

·
Banned
2,227 Posts
I have had a DUC32 for over a year.

No problems with the fork. Much stiffer than the Fox RLC that it replaced.

The Maverick hub, made by Formula, is a POS. I just replaced it with a King that was built up by the fine folks at Over the Edge Sports in Fruita, CO.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
Pete said:

The Maverick hub, made by Formula, is a POS. I just replaced it with a King that was built up by the fine folks at Over the Edge Sports in Fruita, CO.
True. I remember admiring the lack of fine.....or any real craftmanship when I built up my wheel.

Did you replace yours because it started acting up or just preventive maintenance?

On the fork, I've been riding one on my 03 enduro since last summer. It's the best overall feeling xc fork I've ever owned. It didn't really jack up the bike as much as it just smoothed out whatever the front wheel has to deal with. I'm really happy with it.

·
Baked Alaskan
1,810 Posts
On the seal front, Enduro says they have Maverick seals coming which will probably put the stock ones to shame. A couple weeks ago they said they were a couple weeks away so they should be available any time now.

·
Banned
2,227 Posts
kidwoo said:
True. I remember admiring the lack of fine.....or any real craftmanship when I built up my wheel.

Did you replace yours because it started acting up or just preventive maintenance?
Bearings shot despite mucho preventitive maintenance including cleaning and repacking way too often.

Changed to King because I like to set it and forget it.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Deano said:
I'll be putting the Mav through it's paces properly next week in Fruita and Moab, so ask me again in 2 weeks time :)
Lucky man, I'll just plod around the muddy local trails while you're away sunning yourself ;)

Have fun :D

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
I'd go with the DUC 32 IMO, the axle to crown will suit the 5 spot better and will stiffen the front end up heaps. I looking at doing this for my ID (I know an E on the T site ooch) plus the weight is balanced with the rest of the bike, another option might be an AM 1- 130mm seems to be alot of good comments on this fork, if you go bigger you really should look at the 6 Pack, again only my 2c worth..Good luck with yr choice..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.