Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Awe man, flip, wrong island!! If you were comin' here, I'd recommend some trails to be run etc. And........bikes? We got lots of resources for bikes to "borrow" if you were here. How's rocknrollbarbie doing? I suppose running stuff around the Makena area would work as that's where they hold the XTerra Worlds.............Maybe I'll ask my friend who races that every year if she has some ideas..............

Have a great trip.

Aloha,
g

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gmats said:
Awe man, flip, wrong island!! If you were comin' here, I'd recommend some trails to be run etc. And........bikes? We got lots of resources for bikes to "borrow" if you were here. How's rocknrollbarbie doing? I suppose running stuff around the Makena area would work as that's where they hold the XTerra Worlds.............Maybe I'll ask my friend who races that every year if she has some ideas..............

Have a great trip.

Aloha,
g
Which island are you on... We may have to come back and check it out..

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
flipnidaho said:
Which island are you on... We may have to come back and check it out..
I'm on the Big Island. In fact, this weekend Bikeworks of Kona along with Kona Brewing Company doing a "skills clinic". Would be an excellent opp to hook up with a bunch of us locals and do some riding........................Maybe you two could just hop on over on Island Air for the day.......................PM me with your dates and ideas..............

=================================================================
Bike Works holds Mountain Bike Clinic Sponsored by Kona Brewing Company

Want to get off the road and into the dirt?

Learn mountain biking skills and improve off road bike handling technique
from 5 time National Mountain Bike Champion and 2009 Xterra National
Champion Shonny Vanlandingham. Beginners and Advanced riders we...lcome to
attend one day workshop meeting at 8:30am at Bike Works Kona and starting at
9am at skills training site on Sun Jan 24. A group ride on the Kaloko
trails in the afternoon will build your new skills. Lunch sponsored by Kona
Brewing Company. Sign up in advance at Bike Works at 74-5583 Luhia Street in
Kona's Old Industrial Area. $5 Workshop Fee. For more information contact
Grant at 326-2453 or email [email protected]

·
Registered
335 Posts
gmats said:

Have a great trip.

Aloha,
g
Most of the terrain that the XTERRA Worlds is held on is private land. They only open it up for the day of the race. There is probably some lower areas that might be usable, but they are fairly limited and probably wouldn't give you much of a view. There are some trails up Haleakala (sp?) that are great for running. If you get the chance and aren't against a long, slow run day, try the Sliding Sands trail from the summit of the volcano. We did a 11 or 12 mile run from there (10,000 feet elev.) to the trailhead along the road up that is at about 8,500 feet elev. Awesome area to run

·
~~~~~~~~
5,937 Posts
Your options for marked maintained trails will be Makawao Forest Reserve (3,000ft elevation), Kula Forest Reserve (6,000ft.) hawaiitrails.org and Haleakala National Park (8-10,000ft.). Kula/Poli Poli has some great views, Makawao is dense forest, and Haleakala also has great views.

You can also check out the Kings Trail area at the end of Makena road, check out the course maps here http://www.mauimultisportsclub.org/

If the north shore surf is pumping I'd recommend doing a run through the old pineapple fields down to Jaws, several miles past Paia in Haiku.

Kapalua resort had a nice trail system going but I think they ran out of money to maintain it.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
821 Posts
West Maui Cycles should cover your needs, and it's 5 minutes from the Ka'anapali area. Not sure about 29rs.

Lot's of good techy trails in the hills above Ka'anapali.....all require a good 30 minute grind to get to though. Then they continue uphill from there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.