Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have orbea oiz. I mainly do xc and marathons. However I'm not hard racer and I do appreciate plushness and steering accuracy.
I am looking 120mm fork and I weigh about 100 (220lbs) kg all kitted up. I do couple times a year pretty hilly races.
What would suit me more r7 or stiffer mattoc?
Any opinions which one to prefer and why?

·
Premium Member
8,705 Posts
Mattoc is going to be stiffer, but about 300 grams more. Tuning on the Mattoc will be plusher. At your weight I would lean towards the Mattoc.

·
Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
3,244 Posts
Mattoc is 2033g with 34mm stanchions
Mezzer is 2,093g with 37mm stanchions
2022 Fox 34 is 1,698g
R7 is 1648g with 32mm stanchions
SID 35 is 1538g
2022 Fox 34 SC 1496g

I have a hard time seeing the reason to utilize the Mattoc when the Mezzer is a far superior fork for only a few grams more.

The R7 seems outgunned by the GRIP2 34 in terms of weight and travel options, although the GRIP 2 damper might not jive with everyone.

The SID 35, R7 and 34SC are all limited to 120mm. I'd need to ride a R7 against a SID to determine if a 32mm fork can compete in terms of stiffness. I'm also a heavier rider.

If it were my money I'd go with the 34 GRIP2.

I've been saying it for awhile, but it blows my mind that the Mezzer is as light as it is, and yet, the R7 is kinda heavy against the SID and 34 for being a more spindly chassis. If the Mattoc was down in the 1700g range it'd be a real winner in the "Trail Fork" category. At 2033g, the Mattoc is as heavy as a 36, heavier than a Pike, pretty close to a Lyrik and Mezzer. I rode a Mattoc when they were first released and really like it, but the updates haven't been substantial enough to warrant me buying one.

·
3,244 Posts
I don't think a 34SC is ideal for a 220lbs rider. I know I wouldn't ride one...or at least pay money to ride one.

The "normal" 34 is pretty damn light considering its meant to compete against the Pike. The Pike is probably stiffer, but not by much.

Honestly though, the R7 is likely the most comfortable of the bunch. A GRIP2 34 would likely need a DSD Runt and custom tune to compare in terms of sensitivity.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oiz TR is designed for 120mm fork. Non-trail version has the same exact frame except travel on front and back are 100mm. At the moment I have 120mm travel at the rear and fork from my old bike (2016 fox32 factory fit4 100mm fork) at front.
Mezzer can be set to 140mm travel and that is +20mm difference of designed fork.
As I understand usually +20mm in front is not too bad however I can see that fork length for the mezzer is 554mm and orbea specs says 524mm. Mattoc is 535mm and is pretty close to the orbeas specs. So Mezzer is +30mm overall length and mattoc is +11mm.
Too bad I am unable to try out all the forks on my bike to see how they change the handling. However fox seems to be really expensive compared to manitou and roxshocks.

Just to clarify why I have this setup: I had 2016year orbea oiz that had frame warranty this year and I got the latest model year frame as a replacement. It just happened that I was able to score rear fox factory shock that was from another oiz but was the 120mm travel version. So now I have 120 rear and 100 front because I carried the old fork from my old bike to the new frame.

·
Premium Member
8,705 Posts
2022 Fox 34 is 1,698g
SID 35 is 1538g
2022 Fox 34 SC 1496g

I have a hard time seeing the reason to utilize the Mattoc when the Mezzer is a far superior fork for only a few grams more.

The R7 seems outgunned by the GRIP2 34 in terms of weight and travel options, although the GRIP 2 damper might not jive with everyone.

The SID 35, R7 and 34SC are all limited to 120mm. I'd need to ride a R7 against a SID to determine if a 32mm fork can compete in terms of stiffness. I'm also a heavier rider.

If it were my money I'd go with the 34 GRIP2.

I've been saying it for awhile, but it blows my mind that the Mezzer is as light as it is, and yet, the R7 is kinda heavy against the SID and 34 for being a more spindly chassis. If the Mattoc was down in the 1700g range it'd be a real winner in the "Trail Fork" category. At 2033g, the Mattoc is as heavy as a 36, heavier than a Pike, pretty close to a Lyrik and Mezzer. I rode a Mattoc when they were first released and really like it, but the updates haven't been substantial enough to warrant me buying one.
The 120-140 mm Mattoc is about 120 grams lighter than the Mezzer at 1960 grams. Doesn't change the math a lot, but it is a bit lighter. Also, stanchion size tells little about stiffness, the crown interface, leg interface, wall thicknesses and bushing overlap also having large effect. Finally, while I find the Fox 34 (non stepcast) to have about the same stifness as the 120-140 mattoc at 120mm, and the grip damper to be really good for what it is, the mattoc has a better damper and air spring when the IRT is installed.

The mezzer is an incredible fork (love mine), but running it down at 120mm is not optimal as the IRT is designed to run at longer lengths and will need to be modified to work properly and the HBO is designed around being run at 140-180mm and may be run into a lot on short travel bike and limit the useful travel.

·
Premium Member
8,705 Posts
Oiz TR is designed for 120mm fork. Non-trail version has the same exact frame except travel on front and back are 100mm. At the moment I have 120mm travel at the rear and fork from my old bike (2016 fox32 factory fit4 100mm fork) at front.
Mezzer can be set to 140mm travel and that is +20mm difference of designed fork.
As I understand usually +20mm in front is not too bad however I can see that fork length for the mezzer is 554mm and orbea specs says 524mm. Mattoc is 535mm and is pretty close to the orbeas specs. So Mezzer is +30mm overall length and mattoc is +11mm.
Too bad I am unable to try out all the forks on my bike to see how they change the handling. However fox seems to be really expensive compared to manitou and roxshocks.

Just to clarify why I have this setup: I had 2016year orbea oiz that had frame warranty this year and I got the latest model year frame as a replacement. It just happened that I was able to score rear fox factory shock that was from another oiz but was the 120mm travel version. So now I have 120 rear and 100 front because I carried the old fork from my old bike to the new frame.
Looking at that frame, it appears the factory has already increased the travel from 100mm to 120mm on both ends by using a longer travel shock and fork. The seat angle is 74degrees with relatively short 430mm stays. As it sits, the front will be prone to lifting on steeper climbs. Overforking will slacken the seat tube more and make the front more prone to lifting, while also raising the bottom bracket higher. On the downs, the reach is not long, so it isn't going to ride like a downcountry bike that encourages the use of a longer travel fork.

If it were me, I would stay at 120mm in the front and enjoy the bike for what it is, a really nice XC and light trail bike. If you want a better descending bike, I would sell the frame and get a frame that has a slacker head angle, steeper seat angle, and longer reach (i.e. Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ibis Ripley, Transition Spur, among others), that will comfortably run a 130-140 fork.

Reactions: Curveball

·
3,244 Posts
165g for GRIP2 and 250g for FIT4 (MY21 vs MY22).

Kabolt could shed another 40g, so you could get a 22’ GRIP2 down to 1769g.

·
Registered
92 Posts
2022 Fox 34 is 1,698g
SID 35 is 1538g
2022 Fox 34 SC 1496g
My R7 Pro was 1580g with axle.
And it feels as stiff as my 2018 fox 34 I replaced.
However I am struggling to tune it to be as nice, I'm close, but its taken a while. and I might be suffering from tight bushes in the R7....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If R7 feels as stiff as fox 34 (not SC), then it would be pretty substantial upgrade from my current fox 32 fork. Fork lenggth is 525 and is just 1 mm longer than Orbeas spec. I would still like mezzer better because of bigger stanchions, IRT and MC2. But weight penalty is pretty big.
Cary:
the weight that you got for the mattoc was with uncut steerer?

·
3,244 Posts

·
3,244 Posts
My R7 Pro was 1580g with axle.
And it feels as stiff as my 2018 fox 34 I replaced.
However I am struggling to tune it to be as nice, I'm close, but its taken a while. and I might be suffering from tight bushes in the R7....
Interesting. I wonder why I'm seeing different numbers for the R7's weight?

Are you a lighter rider?

·
Nurse Ben
11,587 Posts
I've ridden a Mezzer and I ride two Mattocs (29", 27.5"), the performance is nearly identical.

I do not find the Mattocs to be flexy (I weigh 200# and ride hard).

The Mezzer definitely weighs more than the Mattoc, ~ 200 gms; the literature over counts the Mattoc and under counts the Mezzer.

I'd get the Mattoc for 120mm-160mm, the Mezzer for >160mm

No idea on the R7.

Fox Grip dampers are good, but not as good as a Manitou. The Fox 34 is flexier than a Mattoc. The Fox 34 is lighter than a Mattoc.

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
Way.

My R7 Pro with the axle was 1665 grams as I recall. Plus about 35 grams for a 180 rotor adaptor. And it's limited to 120 travel.

I might have preferred the new Fox 34 with about a 40 gram penalty if I would have known this info and generally I avoid Fox components. Likely performs very similarly but with the ability to increase travel which would be helpful at times.

Oh well.

·
Nurse Ben
11,587 Posts
If I were an XC guy and only needed 120mm travel, I'd get the Fox SC 120mm. I rode one for a while and it was a good fork, lightweight, and pretty stiff.

If you might increase travel in the near future, just get the regular 34.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.