Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
aosty said:
Maybe he needs to talk to Shiggy about custom fit. ;)
When you're tall, built like a spider, ride 165s, ride fixed off-road rigid with drops + small tires (i.e. no band-aids for your position), and want some modicum of standover clearance...it takes a pretty special stem if you're going to ride threadless. It's a 165mm x 35 degree and I designed specifically for the bike...hence no spacers (save for the canti stop) underneath. That gives a effective stem reach of ~130mm and allows my bar tops to be level with the saddle while still maintaining a good cockpit length.

It is a bizarre looking pic though, I should take a better one for sure. The one here is much better: http://www.mattchester.com/main.php

mc

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey Matt good to see you getting set up. Is that the bike you built for the big ride?

I am loving my rig, i have been so spoiled by the Ute that at this point I cannot stand to ride anything else. 9 month’s on and it still gets better with each new ride, what a masterpiece.

Give me a buzz when MC2 is getting ready to be staged
Bob

·
ride your bike
9,447 Posts
MC: dig the new site. thanks for the info the other day.....I called from Coeur d'Alene last week to ask about cost, types of frames, etc. welcome to ID!

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Matt, great site! On the standover, did you keep the seattube that long just for carrying the bike up stuff you can't ride? Or to fit your favorite trail pump?
Otherwise I don't see why you'd keep the front of the bike so low :) I can even imagine adding 3 inches to the headtube and taking the same off the seat tube. I have a CX frame made ultra-sloping for forward dismounts (it's faster, oh yeah), and I carry my bike seat-on-shoulder.
Cool how something so funky looking can be so spot on for an individual's specific needs.

·
ride your bike
9,447 Posts
Padre said:
I feel like the odd man out.
The whole Chester phenomena seems to me like a case of the emporers new clothes....
Sorry, just curious how you're relating the two? Referring to the stripped down website or the back to basics bikes?

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
jubilee said:
Sorry, just curious how you're relating the two? Referring to the stripped down website or the back to basics bikes?
I'm cool w/ the fact that Matt is mr. retro...
Stripped down website is fine... but no email contact? interesting...

what i'm mainly referring to is the design of the bikes themselves...i see people ooing and aaaaahing over them...yet when I look.. i feel like I'm missing something...

in the gallery section on the site..you see a bike sititng in the snow...w/ rim brakes...hmmmm.. i understand you don't go as fast in the snow.. but rim brakes...in snow?
it's like, "give me retro or give me...."

obviously there are enough people who really appreciate what he fabricates and his style..i'm not trying to denegrate that...it just seems like there is a certain hype that I'm not seeing at all..

·
ride your bike
9,447 Posts
Padre said:

what i'm mainly referring to is the design of the bikes themselves...i see people ooing and aaaaahing over them...yet when I look.. i feel like I'm missing something...

in the gallery section on the site..you see a bike sititng in the snow...w/ rim brakes...hmmmm.. i understand you don't go as fast in the snow.. but rim brakes...in snow?

obviously there are enough people who really appreciate what he fabricates and his style..i'm not trying to denegrate that...it just seems like there is a certain hype that I'm not seeing at all..
Understood. I like the idea of a guy making something by hand, by himself, and damn what anyone thinks of it. At least that's the idea I get. SS, 29" only. Kind of like the burger joint here in town where they slap 'em on the grill in front of you. Pickles, onions, and/or cheese are your only choices. Great burgers but meager choice. The anti Wal Mart of burger joints.

·
get down!
2,193 Posts
Padre said:

I'm pretty sure part of the ooing and awing is from the people who have ridden them or know someone who has, and has spoken highly of the bikes.

·
Registered
103 Posts
one point of view

Padre,
Here is where I am coming from regarding my MC.
I started Mountain Biking in 1984, I worked in the bike industry full time from 1990-2001(including working with a Ti Bike company).
Basically I am not wet behind the ears and have owned and ridden my share of bikes.
The frame Matt built for me is very different geometry wise from what I thought was "my size" I was a little nervous about his recommendations but he seemed sure of what he was doing and I figured if it doesn't fit I can always sell it on Ebay.
Working with Matt was very different as Matt is his own person. Very smart and marching to his own beat, full of interesting information and lots of historical cycling perspective for some one so young.
He takes his responsibility to his customer very seriously and focuses his resources on building what he knows will work (Rip me a new one Matt if I am mis-speaking).
My frame is beautiful, amazingly well crafted for such a reasonable (positively cheap) price. And fits me better than anything else I have ever owned.
The only thing I can compare the handling to was my Bontrager RaceLite and it lacked the all day ride comfort.
Do I wish I could have disc on my bike? Not really, my V Brakes work very well and the 2 bikes I have owned with disc both have had annoying drag problems and lacked power (2002 Hayes and 2004 XTR).
Would I buy another frame from Matt? Hell yeah! I put in an order for a Cyclocross oriented frame within weeks of getting my Ute.
The big question is, will I ever buy another frame from anybody else?

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
For sure. Every person I've ever talked to (but one) has loved that perfect/custom fit that Matt ensures and almost forces on you. I do not question his depth or integrity because that stuff is beyond question. His craftsmanshi is also not in question as that issue is also cemented as solid and super-high quality.
I guess, it all boils down to this..if you want a highly functional super-retro bike that gives a nod to the "soul" of riding...go Matt's way.
Regarding brakes, did you every try Avid's? Mine don't drag and stop me fine.
My old v's never did stop me. When my wife does a ride on a bike laden w/ the v's..she's flat out afraid... Even Shiggy, captain retro/old-school/anti-main-stream gives the nod to Avid's. They just make sense.

More power to Matt Chester. He's obviously no one's slave. That's cool.
I just can't get the vibe of his bikes and his style.
I can tune in much more keenly w/ Jeff Jones and his approach. It seems Jeff is trying much more to fuse function and form instead of just dicating the old-school.

A:42 said:
Padre, Basically I am not wet behind the ears and have owned and ridden my share of bikes. The frame Matt built for me is very different geometry wise from what I thought was "my size" I was a little nervous about his recommendations but he seemed sure of what he was doing and I figured if it doesn't fit I can always sell it on Ebay. He takes his responsibility to his customer very seriously and focuses his resources on building what he knows will work (Rip me a new one Matt if I am mis-speaking).
My frame is beautiful, amazingly well crafted for such a reasonable (positively cheap) price. And fits me better than anything else I have ever owned.
Do I wish I could have disc on my bike? Not really, my V Brakes work very well and the 2 bikes I have owned with disc both have had annoying drag problems and lacked power (2002 Hayes and 2004 XTR).
Would I buy another frame from Matt? Hell yeah! I put in an order for a Cyclocross oriented frame within weeks of getting my Ute.
The big question is, will I ever buy another frame from anybody else?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts