Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone on the old build queue ever got their rigs.

I've been on since 2005, have had pretty good communication with MC over the years and have always been a big supporter, but recently asked him for a refund since I really have heard nothing lately except excuses; I'm out almost $3K and my patience just ran out.

Haven't heard from him since then.

I have a MC frame I really like a lot, but when it cracked around the BB/DT weld I sent it to James at Black Sheep for repair...got it back in a few days, right as rain. I was afraid if I sent it back to MC I'd never see it again.

OK, vent over.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have a bud who ordered around the same time and has stood firm with MC over the years. When Matt moved to Canada he promised to make good on his back log. My bud ran out of patience with the years of excuses since and asked for his deposit back......of course that was the end of communications. Needless to say my bud feels betrayed.

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,355 Posts
I'm out almost $3K and my patience just ran out.

Holy smokes! How many folks did he do this to?

Small claims court is about all I can think although I believe he has fled to Kanuckistan, so good luck with that internationally (assuming you are in USA).

No excuse for the above. No one should be sending him money for a frame at this point (if he is still building) IMO.

Edit: Blog is up and updated to April seriously, what a flake. Who on earth would want a frame from him? They can't be that unique.

·
Registered
83 Posts
He owes me $5.00

I sent Matt Chester $5.00 for his magazine. I forget what it was supposed to be called. It was supposed to be awesome and like written with a typewriter or something.

I'm still waiting by the mailbox, that was about five years ago now...

·
1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
1,283 Posts
the nice thing about the internet is that the more negative information out there the more chance some one researching him will find it. Especially in a thread with his name as the title.
I agree. It's all we have to avoid this kind of crummy behaviour. We just need to know to look first.

·
Single Speed Junkie
3,116 Posts
Just wondering if anyone on the old build queue ever got their rigs.

I've been on since 2005, have had pretty good communication with MC over the years and have always been a big supporter, but recently asked him for a refund since I really have heard nothing lately except excuses; I'm out almost $3K and my patience just ran out.

I have a MC frame I really like a lot, but when it cracked around the BB/DT weld I sent it to James at Black Sheep for repair...got it back in a few days, right as rain. I was afraid if I sent it back to MC I'd never see it again.

OK, vent over.

A local here in NM just got their frame from MC this past December. IMHO it was not worth the wait based off weld quality, then again that is just my opinion. After it arrived before build we shipped it up out to a more reliable ti frame builder removing a water bottle boss that was sub par.

Another slap in the face is that we were expected to pay customs a month after it showed up. Got that resolved rather quick.

Only means that he was able to get Matt's attention is that he is living in Canada with his girl friend but without a visa.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Man, these threads are so sad to read. I'm probably the biggest Matt Chester supporter ever, and for the first time in my life I could *maybe* actually afford to have him build me a frame. But the horror stories are too much. Losing 3 grand would be like a fifth of my annual income, not to mention the final nail in the coffin of a personal hero.

I just want to read some day that he came through for everyone in the end. :(

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
I can't believe the folks who lost $3k have been patient for the last 6years.

Road trip with some buddies.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
ncj01;8199819 Road trip with some buddies.[/QUOTE said:
Exactly, I had this kind of problem with Rhygin cycles many years ago. Bike was made (almost a year late) but could not get him to ship it.... sent a friend and his hockey buddies who lived nearby to "personally" pickup the frame. Still have the bike to this day... but no decals on it because he could not get around to putting them on, hence why he could not ship it... for months :madman:, some of these guys are just incredible. He also never paid S&S machine for the couplers he put on it which I found out later. :nono:

·
Registered
260 Posts
There are a few custom builders out there who seem to be leaving people out in the cold- it is so worng on many levels and very little recourse can be taken. if you check around some of the road forums you will see/hear a few stories like this.

That is one reason why I am weary of sending any builder more than a couple hundred dollars to hold "my spot" in the line- unless it is a large builder like a Independent Fabrication or a Lynskey for example.

Good luck to the original poster- realy sorry to hear it because I have always been a huge fan of matts bikes.

·
Missouri sucks...
2,305 Posts
Judging by his blog it looks to me like he's smoking pot, playing old vinyl in a foreign country while living off "customer's" money and blaming "manufacturing" delays on the Canadian Postal strike...

·
Registered
385 Posts
I sent Matt Chester $5.00 for his magazine. I forget what it was supposed to be called. It was supposed to be awesome and like written with a typewriter or something.

I'm still waiting by the mailbox, that was about five years ago now...
I've been waiting on the magazine for 5+ years now too. Here's a link to it, http://700see.blogspot.com/ that shows issue #1 as available now. Maybe time to email Matt again.

1 - 20 of 188 Posts