Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much climbing is on the loops of Matson? More importantly, Single Speed friendly? I see the Map on the COTA website but also wondering the mileage of these loops as well.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Although I do not ride a single speed, I can say in confidence that it's SS friendly. Over the past month or so I been riding some very new single track @ Maston (i.e. trails don't have names yet) but I can tell you that I typically ride 10-15 miles (contingent upon line choice) from T.H. to finish and get a couple hundred vert. I've not found anything that's too technical, although there's a cool section that was just finished that parallels the Deschutes River Canyon - super fun!!

·
What day are we riding?
1,088 Posts
Rockin would about Grey Butte... do you like that ride better?
I do like Grey Butte, but you have to hit it right between the incredible mud and the horses tearing it up. It is much more of a workout on the SS with some good climbing. I usually park in Skull Hollow as the Burma Road climb from Smith Rock State Park is not too fun on the SS.

·
Afric Pepperbird
4,752 Posts
I do like Grey Butte, but you have to hit it right between the incredible mud and the horses tearing it up. It is much more of a workout on the SS with some good climbing. I usually park in Skull Hollow as the Burma Road climb from Smith Rock State Park is not too fun on the SS.
It's not too fun on any bike :eekster:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Maston is very single speed friendly.

A figure 8 starting clockwise is 17.7 miles And that includes a good climb at the new four way intersection and the rocky rim section going north to south

1 - 10 of 10 Posts