Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for discussion, has 24 hour solo grown enough to split it up into two age groups? It always seems ridiculous at the number of possible splits and prizes for the teams. Not that we do it for the prizes, but man the solo guys work hard in comparison and it would be nice to recognize more of it. Now, not every race could do this, but the big ones could for sure with 50 solos. For fair disclosure, I would probably fall on the old fogey side of the split.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I think...

IMO I feel you could run specific categories (Masters, 19-25, 26-30, etc, etc, etc) if you put on solo specific event only. If you run a enduro event in the traditional sense with all the team categories ( 2 man, 4 man, co-ed, etc, etc,ect), you would have an awards ceremony that would last just as long as the race itself. :eek:

Do a solo only race with age groups/race categories and I feel it would go over well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
or pro/non-pro

Perhaps even more appropriate at this point is pro (meaning anyone who gets stuff for free or cost in return for saying you use it, work there, shop there, etc.) and the regular folk?
The MI series does have age groups. I think the big races could support it and just cut back on some of the team categories. I agree that U20 (not 25 which puts you in college and clearly in near peak form) deserves VERY special recognition (and perhaps a warning to ease off for a while).

·
The Riddler
1,040 Posts
jkg said:
Perhaps even more appropriate at this point is pro (meaning anyone who gets stuff for free or cost in return for saying you use it, work there, shop there, etc.) and the regular folk?
The MI series does have age groups. I think the big races could support it and just cut back on some of the team categories. I agree that U20 (not 25 which puts you in college and clearly in near peak form) deserves VERY special recognition (and perhaps a warning to ease off for a while).
yeah, an under 20 division would be sweet, but is unrealistic. at wsc's last year, there were like 4-6 kids under 20. at a regular solo event it's tough finding anybody under 30. even though in college you're definetly near being in peak form for many years, the truth is that alot of college kids don't have the toughness or patience yet, thus making U25 or even U27 a more realistic and maybe even fair cat. Either way, I agree that there really shouldn't be class segregation unless there are enough people to warrant it. as for easing off, you know a good thing when you find it, i'll leave it at that ;)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Fast Old Guys on Singlespeeds [FOGS]

Yeah, as I near 50 [2007] I have been dreaming of a 50+ singlespeed endurance class! That would be the ticket.

The idea of a pro/non-pro split is also interesting. It does get a little frustrating for us run-of-the-mill geeks trying to do battle with mutants. But, what the heck. It's just a bike race, after all!

I am strongly considering changing my handle throught the 'net from MTBDOC to OMSS [old man on a single speed].

1 - 8 of 8 Posts