Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting together a medium epiphany. I am 5'9" and I was wondering if anyone out there is running a masterpiece seatpost on their epiphany? You can only get a 27.2 in 330m and I worry that it would'nt be quite long enough.
Thanks

·
HIYAH
754 Posts
To be sure simply measure one of your current bikes (or use a buddies...) and measure distance from center of BB to top of saddle. Then Take the seattube length on the eph. and add the length of the seatpost and then subtract the minimum insertion (you can use 12-15cm) and then add the distance from the saddle rail to saddle top height (varies wildly between brands). Compare this distance to what you need and ensure that it is at least as long or longer.

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
I had no issues with a Thomson Masterpiece seatpost on my ID if that is any help, I wouldnt see a problem

·
MTB SOCAL
1,455 Posts
I have a medium Epi with a Thomson Masterpiece seatpost. When I'm climbing, I have the seatpost about 1cm from the limit line. I'm 5' 10" with about a 31.5" inseam. If you have a much longer inseam, then you may need a longer post. In the pic, the seatpost is almost all the way up.

Attachments

·
Registered
418 Posts
Nice Wheelset

yangpei said:
I have a medium Epi with a Thomson Masterpiece seatpost. When I'm climbing, I have the seatpost about 1cm from the limit line. I'm 5' 10" with about a 31.5" inseam. If you have a much longer inseam, then you may need a longer post. In the pic, the seatpost is almost all the way up.
Hi Yangpei! Those wheelset are really nice. What are those? I hope you don't mind posting some more pictures.

Thanks!

:)

·
MTB SOCAL
1,455 Posts
TNT-Spot -

The wheelset is an Industry Nine wheelset. They make some of the nicest wheels around. Check them out at: http://www.industrynine.net/

I've attached a few closeup pics of the pink I9's on the Epi as well as red I9's on my 29er SS Gunnar.

Attachments

·
Registered
418 Posts
Wow!!!

Hey Yangpei! Those wheels are really nice. Are you using a Salsa Titanium Skewers? I read on the Chris King Manual that they do not advise Titanium Skewers on their ISO Hubs but do recommend STEEL. Is it the same on the I9s?

I will definiteley consider those nice hoops. maybe a RED hub with Black Spokes & DT 4.2D Rims.

Thank you for posting more pictures.

:thumbsup:

·
MTB SOCAL
1,455 Posts
The Salsa skewers come in ti or stainless steel. They don't recommend using the ti ones with suspension forks. I have Salsa skewers on almost all of my mountain bikes. I'm pretty sure they are all stainless front and ti rear.

As for the I9 wheels - so far I love them. I have 2 bikes with Chris King hubs, two with Hadley hubs, and the two bikes with I9 wheels. They are definitely on par with Chris King or Hadley, but the buzz of the freewheel (at least on my 2 wheelsets) are not as distinctive as King or Hadley wheels.

·
Registered
418 Posts
KING or I9?

Yangpei, i need yoour advise since you have those different type of hubs on your bikes. Currently I'm using a Chrsi King ISO Hubs but i want to change it to I9. I also saw one I9 in an LBS and the sound (buzz) is louder that my Kings.
As of now I only have to choose one. Eithe I9 with DT 4.2 or should i just keep my C.King ISO?

I also considered the I9 for the color and spokes. My King ISO is black.

Many thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
TNT-Spot said:
Yangpei, i need yoour advise since you have those different type of hubs on your bikes. Currently I'm using a Chrsi King ISO Hubs but i want to change it to I9. I also saw one I9 in an LBS and the sound (buzz) is louder that my Kings.
As of now I only have to choose one. Eithe I9 with DT 4.2 or should i just keep my C.King ISO?

I also considered the I9 for the color and spokes. My King ISO is black.

Many thanks!

My thoughts, I have I9 wheels on my MotoLite, they have been thrashed and have been a fantastic wheelset, Also have had a great run with my Ck wheelset, along also with Hadley Wheelset on my bigger bike.... All great...

Am building a Ti SS at present, am going to go with CK hubs, they are all great, if you want colour though, the I9's are awesome.....

Best of luck

·
MTB SOCAL
1,455 Posts
I initially went with the I9's because I loved the way they look and that they added color. Now, having used them for a while, I really like how fast they engage. I haven't had any problems with either I9 wheelset, but I haven't had them that long. I have used King and Hadley wheels and you really can't go wrong. If you opt for I9's instead of your King's, it'll probably be more to try something different or to add color. Performance-wise, it's probably a wash. You definitely won't regret getting the I9 wheels, as long as the cost isn't prohibitive.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Thanks!

yangpei said:
I initially went with the I9's because I loved the way they look and that they added color. Now, having used them for a while, I really like how fast they engage. I haven't had any problems with either I9 wheelset, but I haven't had them that long. I have used King and Hadley wheels and you really can't go wrong. If you opt for I9's instead of your King's, it'll probably be more to try something different or to add color. Performance-wise, it's probably a wash. You definitely won't regret getting the I9 wheels, as long as the cost isn't prohibitive.
Yangpei & Whafe, thank you very much for your inputs. I will definitely get one pair. And will save up for a C.king ISO Hubs for my next project. Its not bad to have the best of both worlds. :D

·
Ologist
964 Posts
I debated the I9-CK build for a while and for me it came down to price. I could get a sweet ck build for hundreds less. The I9s are beautiful (the most aesthetically pleasing out there)but imo I wouldn't see a performance difference. I have never had to true my 819's and never had any problem with my cks in 3 rough seasons.

Those are some amazing wheels you built though!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts