Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Paste eater
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my rear brake lever has been sticking (hayes nine). Brake work perfectly fine except the lever and caliper won't reset to its original position unless I 'push' the lever all the way out. I suspected the lever pivot might be the issue so I loosened it -- nothing. Then I took the lever pivot off completely and the cylinder compressed and decompresses on its own but when I reattach the lever it's almost as if the cyclinder sticks or doesn't have enough "oomph" to get it all the way out.

I'm new to hydros so i'm kinda pulling my hair out here...:madman: :madman: BTW, when I detach the lever pivot, the cyinder seems to swivel quite a bit. Is this normal?

At this reate it won't be long before I move to mechanicals...

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Yeah, it's supposed to swivel a bit.

The master cylinders in the Nines are of very poor quality. A lot of people have problems with them. It could be that dirt might have gotten into the system (flush it all out and rebleed). Or the master cylinder may have gone out, in which case, you might as well just upgrade to the HFX-Mag master cylinder.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Before you go and do a complete overhaul of the thing, or switch to mechanicals, make sure BOTH pivots are clean and allow the lever to move freely.

There are two pivots: one is the one you loosened/took apart, and the other is the cylindrical piece where the reach adjustment screws into.

To clean those properly, remove the lever pivot like you did, then completely unscrew the reach adjustment. Nothing will pop out, don't worry. Then make sure those two pieces move freely, and use some grease on them before putting all back together.

Did you by any chance put any blue loctite on the reach adjuster? That would result in some of the loctite move into places where it would cause the inside pivot to seize and produce the results you're seeing.

Hope this helps,

Maurice

·
Paste eater
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maurice said:
Did you by any chance put any blue loctite on the reach adjuster? That would result in some of the loctite move into places where it would cause the inside pivot to seize and produce the results you're seeing.

Hope this helps,

Maurice

DING DING DING! LBS did b/c I was complaining about it moving on it's own. Gonna unscew that right now... Gots to be it.

·
Paste eater
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
XSL_WiLL said:
AH, I was under the impression you already cleaned and greased the pivots. Awesome that you got it all sorted out.

I didn't realize that there were TWO pivot points... Makes complete sense now... I know this is prolly nothing special to most of you, but this like an epiphany to me!

I cleaned and greased both levers when I got home and they are snappy (if not snappier) than when I got them... Boy do I love when gear works perfectly.

·
Registered
797 Posts
careful with the grease here...

Jwind said:
I didn't realize that there were TWO pivot points... Makes complete sense now... I know this is prolly nothing special to most of you, but this like an epiphany to me!

I cleaned and greased both levers when I got home and they are snappy (if not snappier) than when I got them... Boy do I love when gear works perfectly.
You will notice that this area loves to collect dirt- especially if you are following another rider blowing up dirt. Grease and dirt= sludge. Try using a teflon or silicone spray here- spray on, then wipe off excess. Do it every now and then, and keep them snapping!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts