Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 239 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The doleful list of to-be-shut state parks is in this Sacramento Bee article:

http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalertlatest/2011/05/california-officials-70-state-parks.html

Here they are for quick reference:

Anderson Marsh SHP
Annadel SP
Antelope Valley Indian Museum
Austin Creek SRA
Bale Grist Mill SHP
Benbow Lake SRA
Benicia Capitol SHP
Benicia SRA
Bidwell Mansion SHP
Bothe-Napa Valley SP
Brannan Island SRA
California Mining & Mineral Museum
Candlestick Point SRA
Castle Crags SP
Castle Rock SP
China Camp SP
Colusa-Sacramento River SRA
Del Norte Coast Redwoods SP
Fort Humboldt SHP
Fort Tejon SHP
Garrapata SP
George J. Hatfield SRA
Governor's Mansion SHP
Gray Whale Cove SB
Greenwood SB
Grizzly Creek Redwoods SP
Hendy Woods SP
Henry W. Coe SP
Jack London SHP
Jug Handle SNR
Leland Stanford Mansion SHP
Limekiln SP
Los Encinos SHP
Malakoff Diggins SHP
Manchester SP
McConnell SRA
McGrath SB
Mono Lake Tufa SNR
Morro Strand SB
Moss Landing SB
Olompali SHP
Palomar Mountain SP
Petaluma Adobe SHP
Picacho SRA
Pio Pico SHP
Plumas-Eureka SP
Point Cabrillo Light Station
Portola Redwoods SP
Providence Mountains SRA
Railtown 1897 SHP
Russian Gulch SP
Saddleback Butte SP
Salton Sea SRA
Samuel P. Taylor SP
San Pasqual Battlefield SHP
Santa Cruz Mission SHP
Santa Susana Pass SHP
Shasta SHP
South Yuba River SP
Standish-Hickey SRA
Sugarloaf Ridge SP
Tomales Bay SP
Tule Elk SNR
Turlock Lake SRA
Twin Lakes SB
Weaverville Joss House SHP
Westport-Union Landing SB
William B. Ide Adobe SHP
Woodson Bridge SRA
Zmudowski SB

People didn't want to pay an extra $18 on their vehicle registration. This is the result.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now is the time for San Francisco mountain bikers to contact their Board of Supervisors member and demand that the San Francisco Water District open its huge Sunol Watershed landholdings east of Milpitas and south of Del Valle Regional Park.

This appears to be some of the most spectacular land in the Bay Area, rivaling Henry Coe. It has mountains that rise to almost 4000 feet.

But it's off-limits to everyone, even hikers. Locked gates everywhere, fences bristling with no trespassing signs.

In the last couple of years I've campaigned with the SFWD bureaucracy to open the Sunol Watershed to the public. I have gotten nowhere. San Francisco residents have much more influence, because the SFWD answers to the SF board of supervisors. Please give it a try. The loss of Henry Coe and China Camp means the loss of more than 100 miles of mountain biking routes, I would think. That loss makes for an excellent argument to open lands that are walled off for no good reason.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, of course. But the problem is that trail and fire road maintenance could stop. It's bad enough as it is. Anyone ridden Bowl Trail lately at Henry Coe? It's halfway disappeared because the grass is so luxuriant this year.
 

· my body breaks the falls
Joined
·
1,386 Posts
imtnbke said:
People didn't want to pay an extra $18 on their vehicle registration. This is the result.
Really? I think the results stem from a lot more than the failed Prop 21. Don't get me wrong - I think it stinks that it has come to this. This perspective, however, seems to overlook the root cause(s).

I wonder how and when the state determines that it's time to open them back up? What are our options? Can we buy Coe from the state? :)
 

· never ender
Joined
·
1,314 Posts
imtnbke said:
People didn't want to pay an extra $18 on their vehicle registration. This is the result.
The irony is that in the long run this will cost the state more. Homeless encampments and pot farms are sure to start popping up in the larger parks, not to mention wildfire control in places like Coe. And police and fire response is way more expensive than just maintaining a park with a skeleton staff.

But this is America, after all...why spend now when you can spend more later.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
twindaddy said:
Really? I think the results stem from a lot more than the failed Prop 21. Don't get me wrong - I think it stinks that it has come to this. This perspective, however, seems to overlook the root cause(s).
I can't say for sure that Coe, to take one example, would have remained open had the ballot measure passed. Undoubtedly all sorts of factors play into this dreadful news. Maybe the state parks are inefficient with taxpayer money. I don't know. Still, the measure's defeat must have caused this list to be longer than it would have been. I bet the California State Parks Foundation website has or will have the answer.
 

· don't try this at home
Joined
·
1,600 Posts
dth656 said:
ahh crap--does this mean the year parking pass i just bought at the annadel ranger station is useless?
yep. there will soon be no place to park at the park. unfortunately your parking pass didn't support the park in the first place. all state park fees go to the general fund not necessarily back to the parks. now if you had bought a year pass for spring lake, that money goes directly to the regional parks.
 

· my legs are sore
Joined
·
275 Posts
try again

imtnbke said:
People didn't want to pay an extra $18 on their vehicle registration. This is the result.
This statement is inaccurate. California has been spending money like a drunken sailor for years. The $18 is nothing more than the state crying to us for more more money while refusing to acknowledge how financially irresponsible it has been for so long.

So what do governments do to cut their budgets? They go after the things like teachers, fire, police and parks. The average person is more likely to be affected by these cuts and this will make them more likely to approve future tax increases.

I think it's sad that cutting funding to the parks will have such a negative overall effect but will make almost no difference in how much money the state "saves".
 

· ventanakaz
Joined
·
289 Posts
squashyo said:
Sweet. Grab those shovels, saws, and picks. Time to go build some sick lines!
...x3 we could build some real mountain bike trails...
 

· Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
+1 for Rick O'Shay's comment

The problem in the gov. is more of a spending problem, not a tax problem. Government agencies are notorious for being hugely inefficient. Giving them more money might help temporarily, but they'll just end up wasting more of our money. They could easily fund the parks if they could manage tax money more efficiently. Simple economics: No one "owns" the tax money, so nobody has the incentive to save it. Then come the special interest groups...
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
California is not the bloated state people think

Rick O'Shay said:
This statement is inaccurate. California has been spending money like a drunken sailor for years. The $18 is nothing more than the state crying to us for more more money while refusing to acknowledge how financially irresponsible it has been for so long.

So what do governments do to cut their budgets? They go after the things like teachers, fire, police and parks. The average person is more likely to be affected by these cuts and this will make them more likely to approve future tax increases.

I think it's sad that cutting funding to the parks will have such a negative overall effect but will make almost no difference in how much money the state "saves".
I don't agree. The facts are otherwise.

California's 2011 budget is going to be perhaps $85 billion;"proposed General Fund spending is $84.6 billion." New York state's already passed 2011 budget is "approximately $132.5 billion." Yet New York state has about half the population of California. New York City's 2011 proposed budget is $66 billion. That's one city with a budget almost as big as the entire California proposed budget.

California is near the bottom of all states in terms of state employees per capita (Indiana is said to be the bottom state). We may be the third lowest. The average California state pension is about $25,000 a year, hardly extravagant. (All these stats are easy to find on the Internet.)

I have no doubt there are state legislators who would spend like drunken sailors if they could, but the state budget is no longer bloated if it ever was.

Here's one stat worth providing a link to: California's per-capita state spending is lower than Iowa's, Oklahoma's, and North Dakota's. Source: http://www.statehealthfacts.org/comparemaptable.jsp?ind=32&cat=1

Hardly the stuff on which sailors can get drunk!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1962 said:
...x3 we could build some real mountain bike trails...
Unlikely. The sheriff will still be around. People arrested could be charged with trespassing and felony vandalism. It will not be worth it.

Here's California Penal Code section 594 in part:

"(a) Every person who maliciously commits any of the following
acts with respect to any real or personal property not his or her
own, in cases other than those specified by state law, is guilty of
vandalism:
"(1) Defaces with graffiti or other inscribed material.
"(2) Damages.
"(3) Destroys.
"Whenever a person violates this subdivision with respect to real
property, vehicles, signs, fixtures, furnishings, or property
belonging to any public entity, as defined by Section 811.2 of the
Government Code, or the federal government, it shall be a permissive
inference that the person neither owned the property nor had the
permission of the owner to deface, damage, or destroy the property.
"(b) (1) If the amount of defacement, damage, or destruction is
four hundred dollars ($400) or more, vandalism is punishable by
imprisonment in the state prison or in a county jail not exceeding
one year,
or by a fine of not more than ten thousand dollars
($10,000), or if the amount of defacement, damage, or destruction is
ten thousand dollars ($10,000) or more, by a fine of not more than
fifty thousand dollars ($50,000), or by both that fine and
imprisonment."

Fergeddaboudit.
 

· ventanakaz
Joined
·
289 Posts
imtnbke said:
Unlikely. The sheriff will still be around. People arrested could be charged with trespassing and felony vandalism. It will not be worth it.

Here's California Penal Code section 594 in part:

"(a) Every person who maliciously commits any of the following
acts with respect to any real or personal property not his or her
own, in cases other than those specified by state law, is guilty of
vandalism:
"(1) Defaces with graffiti or other inscribed material.
"(2) Damages.
"(3) Destroys.
"Whenever a person violates this subdivision with respect to real
property, vehicles, signs, fixtures, furnishings, or property
belonging to any public entity, as defined by Section 811.2 of the
Government Code, or the federal government, it shall be a permissive
inference that the person neither owned the property nor had the
permission of the owner to deface, damage, or destroy the property.
"(b) (1) If the amount of defacement, damage, or destruction is
four hundred dollars ($400) or more, vandalism is punishable by
imprisonment in the state prison or in a county jail not exceeding
one year,
or by a fine of not more than ten thousand dollars
($10,000), or if the amount of defacement, damage, or destruction is
ten thousand dollars ($10,000) or more, by a fine of not more than
fifty thousand dollars ($50,000), or by both that fine and
imprisonment."

Fergeddaboudit.
...ask me if i give a mother f**kin sh*t about what you just said...ralph
 
1 - 20 of 239 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top