Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
for three!
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago i got some koolstop black mountain pads (rim brakes) installed on my bike, and the front brake squeals crazily loud whenever i put the slightest pressure on the lever. It's unbearably loud, and i adjusted my brake pads numerous times, but that didn't solve anything. My bike is almost brand new and I have mavic 317 rims. :madman: Anybody have suggestions?

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Try abrading the surface of the pads with a file or similar. The toe-in might be set badly. Might try cleaning your rims as well.

·
semantic blockage
172 Posts
Have you adjusted your brake pad(s) with "toe-in"? They must have toe-in. Prior to tightening the pads, place a matchbook cover folded once (2 ply) under the leading (rearward) edge of the pad - then tighten pad. No more squeal. I do this to each side at the same time - both pads loose with matchbook shim under - hold pads in place with left hand, tighten with right hand. :thumbsup:

·
for three!
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
omegamandb said:
Have you adjusted your brake pad(s) with "toe-in"? They must have toe-in. Prior to tightening the pads, place a matchbook cover folded once (2 ply) under the leading (rearward) edge of the pad - then tighten pad. No more squeal. I do this to each side at the same time - both pads loose with matchbook shim under - hold pads in place with left hand, tighten with right hand. :thumbsup:
:band: THANK YOU very much, that worked like a charm. No more squeals for this bike.

·
semantic blockage
172 Posts
Kool Karl...
You may want to play with shim thickness depending on the type of trails you ride/how much brake you need to grab. Glad to hear your bike is not a distraction to you and others any longer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.