Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
NorCal Trail Rides
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ventured out of NORCAL this week and rented a 29er at Deer Valley Resort. I knew it would be different because I could not lift up the front end very easily and felt like my reach was longer than my usual ride on My Felt Decree 3 with a small frame and 27.5.

I rode an Ibis Ripmo 29er. I felt like I was at the front of the bike a lot and when going downhill my ass kept hitting the tire as it was RIGHT there behind the seat more than usual. I felt like I was overshooting the tables and I was at times.

I've never gone OTB at high speed, and I wasn't wearing my downhill shell. BIG mistake. I destroyed my helmet and went to the hospital. I thank GOD I'm in one piece and just feel internal soreness in my upper body. I feel it when I breath.

With my frequent trips to Northstar, I have a couple questions:

1. What everyone does for safety equipment ALWAYS?
2. How do you know you are hitting the limit?

MY BIG MISTAKE:
I decided to leave my Motocross shell in the car.

You can see the carnage here:

·
Registered
858 Posts
Oh man, that sound. I've made that before. Glad you're ok!

Any ride where you don't have to pedal up a hill (because chair lift or shuttle): full face, some kind of padded shirt with something for the spine (or pack with back protector), padded shorts with something for the tailbone, knee pads. Basically if you don't have to climb for a ride, it probably means you're bombing down something fast, so why not wear it all?

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
That is gnarrrrrrrrrly!

You were going too fast and got too excited on an unfamiliar trail. Changing light conditions too made it hard to read the jumps. You jumped late and the lip flipped you over since you were not ready IMHO.

I've been to Tsunami in Deer Valley a few times and those lips are HUGE! And they're too short. They're meant to be taken at around 17 mph it seems.

fc

·
NorCal Trail Rides
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is gnarrrrrrrrrly!

You were going too fast and got too excited on an unfamiliar trail. Changing light conditions too made it hard to read the jumps. You jumped late and the lip flipped you over since you were not ready IMHO.

I've been to Tsunami in Deer Valley a few times and those lips are HUGE! And they're too short. They're meant to be taken at around 17 mph it seems.

fc
I was overshooting a lot. Blind runs. Tunami and Tidal Wave.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
It was the last run
That's your problem right there. Never say its the last run.

The basics have been covered...full face, chest protector, spine protection. I'd prioritize the first two since you usually get bucked forward high speed OTB. Unfortunately wrists and collarbones are frequent casualties in these crashes because they are hard to protect. I've broken both. I've also had a couple concussions while wearing a full face. Armor doesn't make you immune.

That's why I'd suggest dialing it back when you're on a new bike or on a new trail until you're familiar with them. It's easy to get kicked up by a lip that's steeper than it looks, especially on an unfamiliar bike.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,179 Posts
Park DH is park DH. Always use maximum armor.

Also, when I go to a DH park on vacation, I always rent a DH bike. I don't see a valid reason not to. That is the most safety/security and allows me to enjoy the runs down, rather than fight the bike/terrain.

·
NorCal Trail Rides
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's your problem right there. Never say its the last run.

The basics have been covered...full face, chest protector, spine protection. I'd prioritize the first two since you usually get bucked forward high speed OTB. Unfortunately wrists and collarbones are frequent casualties in these crashes because they are hard to protect. I've broken both. I've also had a couple concussions while wearing a full face. Armor doesn't make you immune.

That's why I'd suggest dialing it back when you're on a new bike or on a new trail until you're familiar with them. It's easy to get kicked up by a lip that's steeper than it looks, especially on an unfamiliar bike.
Thanks man. I think I had a mild Concussion. This the helmet...now retired. Wood stain

·
Registered
214 Posts
That video is so freakishly similar to a crash I had 4 weeks ago. Ended up with 2 broken ribs.
I was also on the “last” run of the day.
I had to ride another 4 miles to get to the base area.
Brutal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
NorCal Trail Rides
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That video is so freakishly similar to a crash I had 4 weeks ago. Ended up with 2 broken ribs.
I was also on the "last" run of the day.
Brutal

My knees were good and my elbows good. The Troy Lee sleeves have plastic inserts and really saved me. Helmet did the job too, and I'll need a new one. No pain in the arms legs...BUT a Gform shirt WITHOUT my Shell (Shoulders, Chest/Spine Protection) the torso and shoulders are jacked up. 2nd day after and I feel 60% better though. I re-injured a previous rotator cuff tear a bit.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
I was also on the "last" run of the day.
Brutal

So what happened in your jump? Did you flip before you land? Do you know why and how to prevent it? Sometimes, that is the key to getting confidence back.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
I was overshooting a lot. Blind runs. Tunami and Tidal Wave.
I think that is the key, key error. Most park runs are built to a specific speed to clear the jumps (usually tabletops). If you are overshooting the first few jumps, you have to slow down (or elevate high and dissipate energy that way)

So those jumps are made for about 17-18mph with massive jump lips. If you are going 25 or so, it will be trouble.

Also timing. If you jump late, your front wheel will go over the lip and drop and you will flip over before you even hit the ground.

Sorry this happened. You have a lot of soft tissue damage so you have to rest tons. I don't think you have a concussion. Otherwise, you will be screwed and you should be away for the computer or any tv.

Your helmet did a great, great job i think.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Holy moly you took a digger. Really glad you aren’t more injured. For park days I just wear what I usually race in. Proframe helmet, goggles, gloves, and knee guards.

If you are really looking to push it on new park trails, definitely gear up more. But my recommendation is only ride at 80% on trails you don’t ride frequently. Yeah boosting is fun and that maxed out feeling is thrilling, but going home safe is a better feeling. I also always end the day doing my one lap of a green trail. Cool it down and end the day with a smile vs trying to blast out the biggest run of the day.

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
It least it looked like you were having a lot of fun right up until you werent? :0)

Looked really fast. I'd be doing half that speed and rolling over all those doubles. But probably driving myself home.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,179 Posts
I think that is the key, key error. Most park runs are built to a specific speed to clear the jumps (usually tabletops). If you are overshooting the first few jumps, you have to slow down (or elevate high and dissipate energy that way)

So those jumps are made for about 17-18mph with massive jump lips. If you are going 25 or so, it will be trouble.

Also timing. If you jump late, your front wheel will go over the lip and drop and you will flip over before you even hit the ground.

Sorry this happened. You have a lot of soft tissue damage so you have to rest tons. I don't think you have a concussion. Otherwise, you will be screwed and you should be away for the computer or any tv.

Your helmet did a great, great job i think.
Yep, we built new jump and tech DH trails last season here. They are fun and you can get some big air, there are a few places where you really have to pedal hard to get the right speed to clear a few of the doubles/features...but, as you learn then better and better and get faster, eventually you start hitting sections with too much speed, things get REAL interesting then, as you can literally bounce yourself into a tree due to rebound or land on your fork well past a transition, etc. As long as you are at the designed speed, it's fun. Trying to set strava or race records can quickly change that.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Have to agree with everyone that says to get a real full face. Amazing how many people I see wearing half shells at parks, just not worth it. Also I wouldn't say a profame is really a appropriate helmet for park DH. Might as well get a full weight helmet especially if your lift assisted.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.