Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a cross / gravel bike and was considering the Masi CXRc Expert. Does anyone have any experience with higher-end Masi bikes? The spec looks nice (Force drivetrain, up to 700x44 tire, Stan's wheels) and I can get a great price on it, but wondering if there is any reason to stay away from Masi or this model in particular. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've raced one for the past two CX seasons as well as two BWRs and a Lost & Found gravel race. It is a solid bike that handled everything I threw at it! My only knock on it is that it is on the heavy side, noticeably so.

I had it set-up with Shimano Ultegra, Mercury G1 wheelset, and Ritchey WCS bar, stem, and seatpost.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey that's super helpful - thanks! By noticeably heavy do you recall what weight it came in at? I'm no weight weenie but I want a quick ride. Was the frame weight a factor or was it more about the component spec?

I've raced one for the past two CX seasons as well as two BWRs and a Lost & Found gravel race. It is a solid bike that handled everything I threw at it! My only knock on it is that it is on the heavy side, noticeably so.

I had it set-up with Shimano Ultegra, Mercury G1 wheelset, and Ritchey WCS bar, stem, and seatpost.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Definitely frame/fork heft. I would always notice the heft when loading mine and various buddies's bikes on to racks but it was while goofing around at a trailhead once that really opened my eyes. I had been working on my wheelies and hopped on a buddy's Trek Boone. I leaned back to pull the front wheel up with the same perceived effort as usual and I ended up on my ass. The weight difference, particularly in the front end, felt significant.

Unfortunately, I don't recall exact weight off hand but I seem to remember it coming in just over 20lbs in "race" set-up (no cages or saddle bag). For reference, the same wheelset and bar/stem combo now roll on an Ibis HakkaMX that weighs 18lbs on the nose... and that's "weekend ride" ready with cages (sans bottles), saddle bag, and computer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm glad to be of some assistance. Masi has great offerings but there is very little information on the net about them. I enjoyed my time on the CXRx and still ride an Evoluzione Disc.

Now, that said, I have 1,500mi so far on the Hakka and consider it the best bike purchase I've ever mad. Just in the last couple of months, I have set it up to be a quiver killer. I'm running Rival1 with a 42t up front and then four wheelsets to suite my ride:

Ibis 733 wheels, 11-44t, 27.5x2.1 Thunder Burts - fun adventures in the Santa Cruz Mtns

Mercury M5 wheels, 10-42t, 700x32 Specialized Roubaix Pros - road rides solo&group

Mercury G1 wheels, 11-42t, 700x35 Kenda Happy Medium - dry CX racing

Mercury X1 wheels, 11-42t, 700x33 Specialized Terra Pro - muddy CX racing

I honestly can't say enough positive things about the Hakka, I absolutely love riding it!

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's awesome, thanks!

I'm glad to be of some assistance. Masi has great offerings but there is very little information on the net about them. I enjoyed my time on the CXRx and still ride an Evoluzione Disc.

Now, that said, I have 1,500mi so far on the Hakka and consider it the best bike purchase I've ever mad. Just in the last couple of months, I have set it up to be a quiver killer. I'm running Rival1 with a 42t up front and then four wheelsets to suite my ride:

Ibis 733 wheels, 11-44t, 27.5x2.1 Thunder Burts - fun adventures in the Santa Cruz Mtns

Mercury M5 wheels, 10-42t, 700x32 Specialized Roubaix Pros - road rides solo&group

Mercury G1 wheels, 11-42t, 700x35 Kenda Happy Medium - dry CX racing

Mercury X1 wheels, 11-42t, 700x33 Specialized Terra Pro - muddy CX racing

I honestly can't say enough positive things about the Hakka, I absolutely love riding it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.