Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building my Yeti from the ground up. Which fork is better. I ride aggressive XC no jumps unless its necessary. I weigh 250 and looking for a sturdy fork preferably QR. Any info would be helpful. I really dont know RLc VS Bomber maybe?

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
ah.. then it depends mostly in what you plan... more XC or more AM... personally I use a Rock Shox Pike on mine... 140mm fits the bike really well and the 20mm axle is really nice... another option of course could be a Fox Float or the Marzocchi all Mountain (the 07 AM SL1 is 20mm TA too)

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Then any fox 32 (float vanilla or Talas), 05-06 All Mountain 1, or Rock Shox Revelation

I just got a Revelation for my hardtail and it is quite impressive.... The Motion Control is great and if you get a U-turn model you can adjust the height for climbing...

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
If you're set on a QR, I'd get a Fox Vanilla RLC. It's very plush, plenty adjustable, stiff torsionally, and reliable.

However, especially for a bigger fellow such as yourself, a through axle certainly is nice. I only weigh a buck-forty and I'm sold on 'em. I'm running a 36 on my AM/ FR bike, and am loving how much stiffer it is than the QR fork I had on previously. Why exactly do you want to avoid a TA?

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
johnandjerri said:
I am building my Yeti from the ground up. Which fork is better. I ride aggressive XC no jumps unless its necessary. I weigh 250 and looking for a sturdy fork preferably QR. Any info would be helpful. I really dont know RLc VS Bomber maybe?
Normally this would be a very short list. If you like to climb a Talus 32, all-mtn sl1,U-turn Pike, if not then a Vanilla/Float 32 or all-travel Pike would be my answers but at 250 lbs I am not sure what fork will be tuneable for your weight. You should post in the Clydesdale forum and pose this question to them.

You will need to narrow down how much fork travel you are looking for. Have you test ridden a 575 yet? Most the riders on the Yeti board like the 130mm Revelation, personally i don't like that steep of a head angle for trail riding and prefer a 140mm+ fork on my 575.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
The Marz AM 1 SL has a QR 20mm TA. The TA works nice and easy and the fork is good. Nice and stuff and smooth through it's travel. It's the first air fork i've used in a while. It's not as smooth as my 66 RC2X, but it hasn't fully broken in yet so it should continue to get better. The only negative i would say is that it is a bit heavier than i expected, but still much lighter than my 66.:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Ratt said:
Normally this would be a very short list. If you like to climb a Talus 32, all-mtn sl1,U-turn Pike, if not then a Vanilla/Float 32 or all-travel Pike would be my answers but at 250 lbs I am not sure what fork will be tuneable for your weight. You should post in the Clydesdale forum and pose this question to them.

You will need to narrow down how much fork travel you are looking for. Have you test ridden a 575 yet? Most the riders on the Yeti board like the 130mm Revelation, personally i don't like that steep of a head angle for trail riding and prefer a 140mm+ fork on my 575.
Well. I'm a clyde(220 lbs) and run a Pike Air U-turn on my 575... no tuning issues whatsoever... and as I said before I also have a Revelation on another bike..and no issues there either... I know 30 lbs is a big difference, but still it's just to give a Clyde's perspective ;) RS' recommended pressures are really high, so there is lot of range to tune with their air models

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.