Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm wondering how the 2004 Marzocchi z150 feels?

I'm familiar with the 2005 z1 series. I feel that these forks work well on big hits, but suffer on the small bumps and stutter bumps. I can only compress the 2005 series about 3 inches on preload.

Does the z150 have a softer stroke for tailriding or adjustable springs?

Thanks.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
What do you mean by you can only compress it on preload 3 inches? You mean the springs on that particular fork are too stiff for you? You can always get a different set of springs, but the spring itrself isn't "adjustable".

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
I rode a Z150 for about 2 years... I'm on a 2004 Z1 now for a while. Will probably get a 66 before summer.

Really, you can do a lot to tune a Z1/ Z150 with oil height. I actually had the opposite impression of my Z150 from yours: I felt like it was good for trail riding and small jumps/drops, but not so hot for bigger hits. But again this all comes down to oil levels. less oil means you will use more travel and bottom out easier. More oil causes the fork to ramp up sooner, with enough oil you get hydraulic loac-out and then you'll never get full travel. You can also control compression damping by using heavier/lighter viscosity oils and then adjust your rebound accordingly.

I weigh 175 and found the stock oil levels listed on marzocchis website worked great for trail riding and light FR. If you are riding the shore, dirt jumping, or DH, you may need to trade some small bump sensitivity for more compression damping (add oil).

PS, using a long straw makes adding/removing small anounts of oil very easy- dip the straw into the oil, then cover the top to trap oil in the straw. This way you can add/remove 5cc of oil without removing the fork, just open up the top caps.

deadpossum said:
Hello,

I'm wondering how the 2004 Marzocchi z150 feels?

I'm familiar with the 2005 z1 series. I feel that these forks work well on big hits, but suffer on the small bumps and stutter bumps. I can only compress the 2005 series about 3 inches on preload.

Does the z150 have a softer stroke for tailriding or adjustable springs?

Thanks.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Be careful not to over pressure the air chamber this can cause a lttle harness and also I found that most run there rebound too slow this will make the fork harsh and lack suppleness in the small bumps, I adjusted my buddies Z1FR1 rebound and he was blown away by the difference.

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
I pretty much agree with FM. I've got one and it's real plush, but can bottom on the big drops. I could up the oil levels, but don't really want to give up the plushness. I noticed this quite a bit on those really flat landing hucks at N*.

I'm 165 lbs, and run no air preload. I've got a friend that's lighter and she took out one of the springs, and sets the sag with air. I believe there are lighter springs available as well.

·
Registered
84 Posts
check the freeride thread on RM. Seems marz. doesn't make upgrade springs for the Z150 it's done with oil weight & air. Mine was to stiff so I went to 5wt oil & almost no air. Seems to be better , need to ride it somemore :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts