Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for my build, that is? :D

I finally bought a 'real' DH bike (Turner DHR), so now I am going to de-downhillify my Bullit. Pulling off the Super T, boat anchor stem, heavy wheelset, DH tubes and tires in favor of a little lighter componentry. Gonna have the Vanilla RC pushed to give it better pedaling capabilities, putting a front deraileur back on and run a 2 ring chainguide.

So that leaves the fork. The Z1 light fits the bill - relatively light, 6 inch travel, ETA for climbs, trademark Marzocchi plushness, 20mm thru axle for stiffness. I had a 5" '00 Z1 that I loved back in the day for freeriding, so it's a familiar fork. Is there a better fork for the money (or close, ~$100 or so) that I should consider?
 

·
inner peace to make peace
Joined
·
2,294 Posts
Marzocchi Z1 Light
Light ?
if "Light" means air "springs" than fergeraboutit
what's this new "AM" business...it's XC or it's DH, unless it's Trials
 

·
Oh, So Interesting!
Joined
·
5,472 Posts
I love my '06 Boxxer Ride, but it is 7 lbs.... The RS Domain is basically the same fork, but in sc, and 6.4 lbs (?). The Lyric a lot lighter, but more $. The '07 Marz AM has a new travel adjust mechanism... And whatever Fox makes, but their forks sell for too much $$ for me. A true travel adjust is more handy than eta... My Boxxer Ride goes from 133 - 178mm, and is fully useable at the 5" setting.
 

·
No, that's not phonetic
Joined
·
14,313 Posts
Not sure the fork is perfectly suited to the Bullet, but holy cow what a great fork. I have ridden a lot of forks and my old Z1 FR1 (basically the Z1 Light) is still one of my favorites. They are among the the most adjustable, plush, reliable forks made. Get one.
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
tscheezy said:
Not sure the fork is perfectly suited to the Bullet, but holy cow what a great fork. I have ridden a lot of forks and my old Z1 FR1 (basically the Z1 Light) is still one of my favorites. They are among the the most adjustable, plush, reliable forks made. Get one.
really? what are you talking about? why not a Lyrik 2-step? I hear they are really neat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,305 Posts
Z1 Light

oh yea! that fork is sooo wonderful. put one on my Ventana La Bruja. completes that to the tee for me. with a coil as the mainspring , the air is just an assist. spring to boost or adjust the sag. i ride @ 170 lbs. & barely register air pressure to get between 25% to 30+%. it is soo plush yet takes alot to get full travel . the compression adjust is great to be able to fine tune it.the rebound gives you everything you'd want in rebound control. i'm coming off a 5" marz coil ETA & this fork just makes that completely obsolete. w/ 5-6" of travel, total rebound & compression control, ETA, 5.5 lbs.oww! what else could you want. check out Chad from Red Barn Cyclery & his take on it being used on his Ventana Ciclon. different bike for sure from a Bullit , but see what he says about the fork. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,995 Posts
marsb said:
for my build, that is? :D

I finally bought a 'real' DH bike (Turner DHR), so now I am going to de-downhillify my Bullit. Pulling off the Super T, boat anchor stem, heavy wheelset, DH tubes and tires in favor of a little lighter componentry. Gonna have the Vanilla RC pushed to give it better pedaling capabilities, putting a front deraileur back on and run a 2 ring chainguide.

So that leaves the fork. The Z1 light fits the bill - relatively light, 6 inch travel, ETA for climbs, trademark Marzocchi plushness, 20mm thru axle for stiffness. I had a 5" '00 Z1 that I loved back in the day for freeriding, so it's a familiar fork. Is there a better fork for the money (or close, ~$100 or so) that I should consider?
It truly is a sweet fork. I rode a RS Pike for 1.5yrs prior, and the Zl light is a much better fork as far as dampening goes with very noticeable rebound and compression per click while remaining very plush, easier sag adjustability with air assist instead of having to put a heavier or light spring in, and the ETA kicks ass over the tediuous U-turn adjustment for the climbs. My only gripe about the Marz forks is that the thru axle is a bit of a pain to use with all the bolts since I was spoiled with the very user friendly maxle on the Pike and since I have to constantly take off my front wheel to fit the bike in back of car.

I ride a 6' travel RFX for trailriding with DHXc and Z1 light up front and it suits me fine, the only upgrade I would consider is to have the shock "pushed" (spendy upgrade IMO, for what it is) or up the front travel with a 06' Marz 66 light 170mm to slacken things up a bit with the sacrifice of gaining 1.5lbs and having to drop the dough on another fork. Todays RS forks are good, but Marz's perform even better IMO. For the money, I would definitely go with a Z1 or 66 over anything else.
 

·
011100000110111101101111
Joined
·
1,247 Posts
I have a 2006 Z1 Light on my 6+ inch bike, and the 2007 36 van on my new hardtail. The 36 is definitely
stiffer... noticeably. The one up for the Z1 is that it has the travel adjust. Z1 is darn squishy... very comparable to the 36's coil.

ignorance is bliss of course, and depending on how hard you corner and take corners, Z1 is a great trail fork.
if you don't need a travel adjust, then get the Van. Otherwise the Z1 to keep the weight down. Sure you can go lyrik 2 step..
but how much are those again???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,494 Posts
ETA blows.

jgusta said:
It truly is a sweet fork. I rode a RS Pike for 1.5yrs prior, and the Zl light is a much better fork as far as dampening goes with very noticeable rebound and compression per click while remaining very plush, easier sag adjustability with air assist instead of having to put a heavier or light spring in, and the ETA kicks ass over the tediuous U-turn adjustment for the climbs. My only gripe about the Marz forks is that the thru axle is a bit of a pain to use with all the bolts since I was spoiled with the very user friendly maxle on the Pike and since I have to constantly take off my front wheel to fit the bike in back of car.

I ride a 6' travel RFX for trailriding with DHXc and Z1 light up front and it suits me fine, the only upgrade I would consider is to have the shock "pushed" (spendy upgrade IMO, for what it is) or up the front travel with a 06' Marz 66 light 170mm to slacken things up a bit with the sacrifice of gaining 1.5lbs and having to drop the dough on another fork. Todays RS forks are good, but Marz's perform even better IMO. For the money, I would definitely go with a Z1 or 66 over anything else.
For long epic rides with undulating ups and downs, I found the eta on the Z1 lite to be completely inferior to the U-turn. Not even close actually. With the ETA you are up or down with no suspension action with the ETA fully activated. It feels like a rigid fork. Not to mention having to bounce up and down on the handle bars all the time like a monkey. Not fun if you are adjusting suspension a lot.

I found with the U-turn you can dial down the suspension for climbing and leave it there and still have useable, plush suspension action when you need it. Compare 4" to 30mm on the Z1. Big difference. I also like the fact that when I am riding a trail that has multiple ups and downs before the major descent, I can just leave the Pike at the lowest point of travel or somewhere inbetween and then use full travel for the big ride down. It only takes a few seconds to go through the entire range of travel on the Pike. Most people stop to rest at the top of a major climb anyways. Did I mention that you can lock out the pike completely or just partially.;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
I got a Z1 FR1 on my bullit, and I love it. I agree that the ETA isn't that special, and I use it only on really steep, longer climbs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,995 Posts
ronny said:
For long epic rides with undulating ups and downs, I found the eta on the Z1 lite to be completely inferior to the U-turn. Not even close actually. With the ETA you are up or down with no suspension action with the ETA fully activated. It feels like a rigid fork. Not to mention having to bounce up and down on the handle bars all the time like a monkey. Not fun if you are adjusting suspension a lot.

I found with the U-turn you can dial down the suspension for climbing and leave it there and still have useable, plush suspension action when you need it. Compare 4" to 30mm on the Z1. Big difference. I also like the fact that when I am riding a trail that has multiple ups and downs before the major descent, I can just leave the Pike at the lowest point of travel or somewhere inbetween and then use full travel for the big ride down. It only takes a few seconds to go through the entire range of travel on the Pike. Most people stop to rest at the top of a major climb anyways. Did I mention that you can lock out the pike completely or just partially.;)
Yeah, the Pike definitely has tons of adjustability for any type of ride and is a good/great fork. My thing is, that I like the ETA for long or short steep climbs when I don't want to get off my bike and wind-down or up the travel to produce a steeper or slacker HA for climbs or descents. The ETA with GD remote and I am on the bike the whole time, no more getting on or off the bike and when I need more travel on the fork or to raise or lower the seat, it is a simple flick of the ETA and GD remote (takes less than a second) right before a descent and I am flowing again. The perfect ride for all terrain/all-mt. IMO. The ETA drops the fork almost two inches from 6" to 4" with 30mm left over in the lock down mode for minimal bump absorption on the climbs (that can be made stiffer or softer based on the low-speed compression adjuster, aka poploc blow off knob adjuster on the Pike) and the 06' Z1 allows for travel adjust from 5-6" without changing the spring rate/dampening for rides that are not as steep and only needing 5" of travel (I never use this, it is in lock down for the climbs are wide open for the descents) Also, with each click of compression or rebound their is a noticeable difference in dampening, which is not the case with the Pike.
The Z1 light is the ultimate all-mt. fork in my honest opinion, but you can't go wrong with today's RS as well.
 

·
inner peace to make peace
Joined
·
2,294 Posts
like ETA, but those ETA levers are too easily broken
 

·
err, 27.5+
Joined
·
4,928 Posts
marsb said:
for my build, that is? :D

I finally bought a 'real' DH bike (Turner DHR), so now I am going to de-downhillify my Bullit. Pulling off the Super T, boat anchor stem, heavy wheelset, DH tubes and tires in favor of a little lighter componentry. Gonna have the Vanilla RC pushed to give it better pedaling capabilities, putting a front deraileur back on and run a 2 ring chainguide.

So that leaves the fork. The Z1 light fits the bill - relatively light, 6 inch travel, ETA for climbs, trademark Marzocchi plushness, 20mm thru axle for stiffness. I had a 5" '00 Z1 that I loved back in the day for freeriding, so it's a familiar fork. Is there a better fork for the money (or close, ~$100 or so) that I should consider?
Sounds like a good ride. I really liked my bullit setup with the Z1 frankenfork (basically a 2005 Z1 light). As pictured it was about 35lb, but was capable of anything from all day epic to lift assisted riding. I never had to worry about the ocassional 4-6' drop. I actually prefered it with the 7.875x2.25 shock it is pictured with over the 8.5x2.5. The shorter shock is also lighter.

I currently have a pike air fork and a domain coil fork. The domain is closer to the z1 light in terms of burliness but lacks the progression that the sealed air chamber of the Z1 gives. The pike is more toward the aggressive all mountain end of things. I like all of these forks for specific reasons. The Pike is light at 4.5lb and is still burly enough not to worry about it. The Domain is cheap and good for shuttle/assisted rides. The Z1 light is probably the best compromise and sits about in the middle in terms of weight at just under 5.5lbs. Depending on your true riding intentions the lighter pike air fork may be an option. However if you are still looking to send it and abuse the fork I think the Z1 is a better choice for durability :thumbsup:
 

Attachments

·
Glad to Be Alive
Joined
·
42,998 Posts
TrailNut said:
Marzocchi Z1 Light
Light ?
if "Light" means air "springs" than fergeraboutit
what's this new "AM" business...it's XC or it's DH, unless it's Trials
wrong....................

I ride my Z-1 lite w/ETA............on light DH trails (heavy rock gardens and drops to 3 feet)

works awesome....here is a write up

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=203577

BTW the new bike will be sportin an 888 because of the way the Z-1 lite handled
 

·
Daniel the Dog
Joined
·
6,764 Posts
It is a subjective debate

ronny said:
For long epic rides with undulating ups and downs, I found the eta on the Z1 lite to be completely inferior to the U-turn. Not even close actually. With the ETA you are up or down with no suspension action with the ETA fully activated. It feels like a rigid fork. Not to mention having to bounce up and down on the handle bars all the time like a monkey. Not fun if you are adjusting suspension a lot.

I found with the U-turn you can dial down the suspension for climbing and leave it there and still have useable, plush suspension action when you need it. Compare 4" to 30mm on the Z1. Big difference. I also like the fact that when I am riding a trail that has multiple ups and downs before the major descent, I can just leave the Pike at the lowest point of travel or somewhere inbetween and then use full travel for the big ride down. It only takes a few seconds to go through the entire range of travel on the Pike. Most people stop to rest at the top of a major climb anyways. Did I mention that you can lock out the pike completely or just partially.;)
I like both the Z1 light and Pike. I ride a Pike 454 twist down because I like to ride my fork at different travel points. I like ETA when you ride at two travel points. It is cool to reach down and twist that ETA, compress the fork, and climb.

The Z1 is the plushest fork I have ever ridden. The downside is the are HEAVY! MBA said the Z1 light is 5.7 lbs. This means the fork is at least 6 lbs in the real world. My old Z1 and even Marathon 120mm were chunky monkeys with a high A-C for a given travel. The Pike in either coil or air are not as plush. No way! But, lighter and very good.

Just my .02.

Jaybo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,494 Posts
I should have added that I really liked the performance of the Z1 light. The Z1 light out performs the Pike for freeriding and plushness and it should being a little heavier. I am just not a fan of ETA. I like the U-turn for rides where you have multiple ups and downs.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top