Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi all, quick question for you. Can I interchange other brand steering tubes on my marzocchi z4 forks? My friend has an uncut 1 1/8 steer tube (above) but doesn't remember what brand it is although he doesn't think it's a marzocchi. It looks like it would work, appears very similar to what I have but I thought I would ask here to get some feedback. Lastly, the one I currently have is aluminum and this new one is steel if that matters. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
It might work, but....

it has to match or current steerer tube in ALL aspects! (except lenght of course being uncut) You'll need to get yourself a dial caliper or some such measuering device and measure that sucker to within an inch of it's life! It will need to be absolutely identical to your current steerer. The most important dimesnions will be the diameter and height of the crown clamp area. If those dimensions match up then you should have no problem.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
729 Posts
I woudn't

If there is an area in the bike I don't like to mess with is the front end:nono: . I know you could measure it and it would probably be fine, but considering the small cost of the normal Marzocchi steerer, I would just get the original one. A millimeter here or there and you could get really hurt. Just my 2 Cents....................

Ladies Man said:

Hi all, quick question for you. Can I interchange other brand steering tubes on my marzocchi z4 forks? My friend has an uncut 1 1/8 steer tube (above) but doesn't remember what brand it is although he doesn't think it's a marzocchi. It looks like it would work, appears very similar to what I have but I thought I would ask here to get some feedback. Lastly, the one I currently have is aluminum and this new one is steel if that matters. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
As said, best to measure with some calipers!
IIRC RST and marzocchi steerers are interchangeable (for those with pinch fit crown/steerer)... couldn't tell ya how to tell a RST from a marzocchi though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts