Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Uncle
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Opinions sought regarding my first 29er project:

I bought G-live's 2003 Marzocchi MX Comp on Ebay for $100 -- a good deal for any Marz fork in my opinion. He had it listed as "approx. 4.5lbs", but I suspect it's closer to six... He didn't mention in the ad that it had a steel steer tube. I could have asked, but I'd have never thought that Marzocchi would use steel on an MX fork. Bad to Ass u me.

Marzocchi is ready to swap out the steer tube for $65, which I suspect would lighten up the fork by as much as .5 lbs. Is worth the investment? FWIW, it's going on to a Surly KM.

Thanks for useful insights.

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
Well $8 an ounce; probably the going rate for weight loss these days. The big question is, since it is going on a fairly portly frame, you'll have to consider the rest of the bike build to determine whether it's worth it. You'd probably get better performance dropping 200g. from your tires and tubes.

·
rider
2,356 Posts
With my background in manufacturing engineering I can tell you that I would not disturb that pressed interface between the crown/steerer to save a few oz's. Yes, Marz can do what you are talking about, but the crown/steerer fit will never be quite as good as the first. Don't believe me? Ask the Marz techs, I'm very sure they will agree with my above statements.

Besides all of the above, why not just save your $65 and put it away for a used Reba in a while? They can be found for the low to mid $200's. Stiffer, plusher and less heavy.

·
Uncle
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Already have the Marz fork

and I don't want to stock pile 9er parts (still have a lot of 26" stuff to go...) I have considered your proposal of buying a nicer fork, but I guess it's an economy thing at the moment; I'm going to build it up to see if a 29er is something I'll defer to over my FS yeti.

I think I'll build it up with rigid fork first, then try the steel-steered mx fork next. If the 29er thing is suiting me well, I'll reconsider the weight reduction process.

Thanks for the insights.

jc

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I had my steerer tube replaced just like you are attempting. It was done by Marzocchi tech here in canada and no warranty issues in doing this so they said. Ended up costing me a 110$CDN for the tube and install.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.